What happened.

Chapter 11

Ella's P.O.V:

I winced in pain the moment I woke up. The throbbing in my head has increased and I messaged my temples. I got up off the floor and glanced around me. My father was lying on the floor, passed out. I let out a breath of relief. The pulsing heat on my back and arms demanded my attention. Ignoring the protest of my exhausted body I sprinted upstairs and wrenched open the bathroom door. I stepped inside and locked the door.

"Ow..." I muttered as I pulled of my shirt and turned my back to the mirror. I looked over my shoulder and groaned when I saw the angry red lashes covering my back.

"Dammit"! I growled before stepping out of my clothes and jumping into the shower to try and calm the red tinge around the edge of the lashes. The cold water made me hiss in pain when it bounced onto my back. I raised my arms to get a better look and almost hit my head against the wall.

With my experienced judgement those marks are going to take about seven weeks to go away. At least the cuts will be scarring soon. Muttering curse words at my fathers drunken addiction, I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around me.

Unlocking the door I glanced down the hallway and concentrated to try and hear my father's deep breathing. Good, he's still asleep. I tip toed to my room and locked my door. That is how it goes in my house. Locking doors, tip toeing through hallways... you get the point.

I opened my closet doors and pulled out any two pieces of clothing that will cover my marks. Luckily it was cold today so I could wear a jacket. I pulled on my black sweat pants and a navy blue t-shirt. My back burned with the fabric covering it and I flinched. Today was going to be a very painful day. With a sigh I slipped on my grey jacket to cover my burning arms. I grabbed a pair of socks and slipped into them. I caught a glimpse of my dark hair and sigh. Wasn't carpets supposed to make your hair fuzzy? Mine just seemed duller than usual. Still I picked up my brush and combed out my hair. I pulled it into a ponytail and tied it with an elastic.

Quickly and quietly I head downstairs and got ready to start making breakfast. I opened the fridge and rolled my eyes, of course the whole thing was covered in beers and I can bet my savings were gone.

"How am I going to pay the bill now?" I muttered furiously. I grimaced when I remember how a few years ago I decided to throw all the alcohol in the house in the dumpster down the street. Let's just say my back looked a lot worse. Oh, and my arm was broken. From that day I just ignored the beers and instead tried to hide my money.

I glanced at the clock and quickly headed upstairs to the towel closet. I grabbed the key and walked to Mony's room. I turned the key in the lock and walked in. I plastered a smile on my face and pulled open her curtains with a 'whoosh'.

"Time to get up sleepyhead!" I whisper-yelled at her. She opened one eye and glared at me. Then she turned her back to me and covered her head with her covers. Despite my terrible mood I let out a laugh and pulled the covers off of her. She groaned and curled into a little ball to try and keep her body warmth.

"Oh no, Mony it's seven 'o clock. We're going to be late for school." I whisper-yelled to her. Her eyes flew open and she jumped out of her bed. Muttering in panic she ran around the room trying to find a proper shirt. I chuckled and leaned against her door. I watched in amusement as she scurried with her pants halfway on. When she was dressed she grabbed her socks and hopped past me, pulling on her socks.

"Come on, Ella. We can't be..." she started saying before stopping and looking at my amused expression. She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"You're mean," she pouted.

"I know." And with a bemused laugh I pulled her down stairs. She stumbled behind me and together we each grabbed an apple and head out. I jumped into the drivers seat and she slouched into the car.

I dropped her off at her school and kissed her good bye. I still had about thirty minutes until the bell rang. I sped up slightly and pulled into the parking lot. I grabbed my bag and swung it over my shoulder. I strolled through the halls to my locker. I self-consciously pulled down my jacket sleeves and weaved through the crowds of people.

"Ella!' Simon yelled from somewhere in front of me. I lowered my head in defeat and let out a sigh. I was hoping to avoid him for at least a while. Simon strolled up to me and I looked away. I could feel Simon's gaze on me and my cheeks reddened in shame. I heard him take a deep breath before lightly taking my hand and leading me to an empty classroom.

When we are both inside he turned around and closed the door behind me. He zipped open my jacket and pulled it off so he can see the red marks where the proof of my father's lashings were evident. I heard him gasp and felt the sweet relief of cold air on the angry marks. Ashamed I stepped away from him and put my arms behind my back to shield them from his view.

"What happened?" he asked his voice is strained. I shrugged so I didn't have to answer.

"Dammit, Ella! What happened!" he suddenly yelled. Out of instinct I raised my arms to cover my head and step further away from him. Shock registered on his face and I lowered my arms in shame.

He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me. He pulled me into his chest and I buried my head to hide the tears in my eyes. I sunk into the familiar feeling and just let him shield my weakness from the world.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it," he whispered to me. I nodded even though I knew he couldn't see me. I pulled away and smiled at him before heading off to class

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _