Danger to who?

Chapter 24

Kane's P.O.V:

"Sometimes when I see families together like that I can't help it. I just feel empty of all emotions like I'm a blank wall and nothing anybody says can pull me away from that because in that moment it's like I'm not there. I know it's selfish of me, Kane. But when I see close knit families like yours I can't stop myself. In that moment I realize that's exactly what I will always want, but it's something I'll never have and it breaks me inside," she said and I couldn't help but notice how she dipped her face to the side like she wanted to hide. She had enough practice to keep her voice steady and strong but her eyes were lowered to the ground in... shame?

"That's not selfishness. You deserved so much better than you got, Ella, but you don't complain. I haven't heard you complain once. You try to be strong even when you don't have to be." I smiled at her and her eyes met mine briefly before she looked away with the smallest of small smile on her lips.

It was beautiful. The small curl on the corner of her made her eyes seem brighter, her face more open. Joy was the one emotion she struggled to hide and it made me glad. Her past had not made her completely cold.

"We should go help your mom clean up." She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and moved to slip past me.

"I'll do it," I offered as I followed her back to the kitchen.

"Don't be ridiculous," she chided but I slid my arm around her waist, forcing her to stop. She turned around so she could face me and I smiled down at her.

"I insist. Go watch a movie with your sister," I told her. She narrowed her eyes at me for a few moments before sighing in defeat and nodding. I let her go and she walked into the living room.

I slipped into the kitchen and stood next to my mother to dry the dishes.

"So..." she started with an all knowing grin.

"What?" I replied as I took the dish in her outstretched hand.

"So... do you like her?" she asked with a knowing smirk.

"I don't know what you mean." I place the dried dish on the pile.

"Oh, I know that face," she grinned and I looked away when I felt my face heat up slightly.

"Mother!" I complained and she chuckled loudly. Someone cleared their throat from behind us and I looked over my shoulder.  Ella's entire face was flushed and she was trying desperately to hide her smile.

"You shouldn't be cleaning, Mrs. Moalch." She took the sponge from my mother and smiled at her.

"If I leave Kane alone with the dishes we might not have any left," Mother laughed in mock horror. I glared at her in embarrassment.

"I was four!" I yelled in exasperation.

"I'll watch him," Ella assured her.

"You're a very responsible girl, Ella. Kane, you make sure to keep her," my mother told me before grabbing a book and running out. I concentrated on the dish I was drying as Ella started to wash the remaining table ware.

She giggled while washing and I splashed her with the water.

"It's not funny," I told her with a smile. She gasped as the water hit her shirt and soaked through the material.

"Now you've done it!" she exclaimed and hit my back with the cloth. I chuckled and splashed her with the water again. She grabbed a glass filled with water and chucked the water in my face.