Behind enemy lines

Chapter 27

Ella's P.O.V:

The house looked like one giant garbage pile. There was broken glass and half empty beer bottles littering the floor everywhere. It's a miracle theres no pools of blood on the ground. I almost run back out and leave it as it is, but I don't.

I sighed at the mess and slowly made my way to the kitchen. When I passed the living room I rolled my eyes. He was laying, sprawled out on the ground with some girl on his chest. She was barely covered, her shirt dipping deeply into her chest and her shorts hanging just below her butt.

I shook my head in disgust and fetched a garbage bag. I started in the kitchen and slowly made my way through the house, picking up the bottles and broken glass pieces and once or twice a piece of disgarded clothing.

As I bent down to pick up another bottle a wave of nausea passed over me and I stopped, waiting for it to pass. When it didn't I dropped the bag and sprinted up the stairs and into the bathroom where my breakfast makes an unwelcome appearance.

As I'm kneeling next to the toilet waiting for the nausea to pass so I can continue with cleaning the house before Mony came back my mind started to drift between Kane and Simon. I don't bother trying to stop it. I would have to think about it at some time. I was getting hints Simon liked me as more than a friend, but I didn't think he'd say anything.

I've known Simon since the first time my life became difficult. He and I were in the same situation and we understood each other in a way no one else could ever understand us. We've been leaning on each other since the very start of the change in our family lives. He was kind and understanding.

Even now when I tell him about another night he would nod and hug me so I can cry and get it over with. He understood that he couldn't do anything and he accepted it while still protecting me in his own way, by shielding me from the world because he couldn't shield me from my father.

Kane on the other hand, from the beginning he guessed what was happening and wanted me to get out. He didn't accept what was happening because that wasn't the kind of person he was. He could never leave someone who needed his help. And so he pushed and pushed until I admitted that I needed help and then he insisted on protecting me.

I was grateful for both of them but I needed them to know that I've been protecting myself for seven years and them hovering over me waiting to swoop in and rescue me was only going to make me push them away further. Letting them help me meant hurting them and I would never do that.

I felt the familiar vibrating of my cell phone in my pocket and took it out with shaky hands. Simon's name flashed across the screen and I picked up still hovering near the toilet.

"Hey, Simon," I mumbled into the phone.

"Ella? Hey, are you alright? How are you feeling? Do you need to go to the hospital? Should I come get you two? Are-

"Simon," I interrupted and he stopped talking. "I'm fine, just a little sick. Mony will be coming home later," I tried to answer all his questions in one go.

"What's wrong? Are you nauseas? Do you have a headache? Are you coughing?" he shot again.

"Nauseas, yes. Headache, yes. Coughing, no," I answered back and heard him throwing open cupboards in the distance.

"I'll be right over." Before I could protest the line went dead and I sighed but forced myself to my feet. I swayed in place for a little before stumbling towards the door and using the handle to steady myself. I didn't dare walking down the stairs so I sat on the top one and slowly made my way down.

I picked up the garbage bag again and slowly started picking up the bottles. I kept away from the ones laying on the floor and tried to stick to the more levitated bottles.

The doorbell rang and I cringed at the piercing sound in the otherwise silent house. I quickly opened the door and was greeted by a grinning Simon.

"Hello! This is your bestest of best friends. I'm here with pills galore and a garbage bag of my own," he announced and I gave him a small smile.

"You can come in," I started and blocked his path. "If you promise to keep quiet. He's in the living room and asleep, for now." He nods with a teasing smile and I nod reluctantly stepping out of his way.

He marched, quietly, over to the kitchen and filled a glass with water. He handed it to me along with two pills to help with my nausea. I made a face at him but quickly swallowed the pills and put the glass away.

"Okay then. Let's start," I said, holding up the half full garbage bag. Simon sarcastically waved his hands in the air, but started working.

Almost thirty minutes passed before I stopped and stood up. The dining room started spinning and I closed my eyes as my stomach clenched. I grit my teeth held my arms over my stomach as I waited and prayed for the nausea to go away.

"You okay?" Simon said from behind me. I shook my head quickly and shoved the bag into his arms. I ran up the stairs the world still spinning. I grabbed onto the bathroom doorknob as I tried to swallow the horrible feeling. It didn't work.

I didn't know how long I sat in front of the toilet, but at some point Simon came in and held my hair back as the nausea continued to wash over me. When I nodded Simon helped me up. I stumbled a little but waited for the light-headedness to pass.

Simon picked me up and lowered me onto my bed.

"No, I need to-" I started.

"Hush, you need to rest. Trust me as your best friend to handle the clean-up." He tucked the blanket around me, but I tried to sit up.

"I'm fine, Simon. This is my responsibility, I will not leave you-"

"A minute ago you couldn't stand by yourself. I am now going to abuse my best friend power here. I order you to stay in bed. Your only responsibility right now is to get better," he insists and forced me to lie down again.

"But-"

"But nothing. Get some sleep."