Fever

Chapter 25

Ella's P.O.V:

I woke up to a light shaking on my shoulder. Irrational thoughts filled with fear shook through me before I could logically process the completely normal gesture. My eyes shot open and I sat upright with shaking limbs. I backed up at the same time and the person's hand fell from my shoulder.

"Sweetie? Are you alright?" Mrs. Moalch questioned worriedly. She quickly removed her hand from where it rested on my shoulder. I swallowed past, what felt like, a desert in my throat before nodding slowly.

"Okay then, I made breakfast. Come down when you're ready," she smiled at me with such gentleness that it made me feel guilty when I couldn't force one back. I nodded in response.

I let out the breath I had been holding as she left the room and I could hear her, trying and failing, to wake up Kane. I smiled at that since I had pictured him as a person who enjoyed sleeping in. I quickly looked around the room, tryong to ignore the unfamiliarity.

I got out of the bed and threw open the curtains. The sunlight streamed into the room with a sudden brightness that made me have to glue my eyes shut. After a minute I opened my eyes again and gazed out of the window.

I couldn't remember the last time someone woke me up. Usually I was always up first, fixing my clothes to hide the bruises and get us to school on time. It felt strange to rely on someone else for something I've always had to do.

"Come on, Mony. Breakfast is served." I poked her and she groaned. She shot me a glare and turned her back on me to go back to sleep again. I chuckled and pulled her from the bed and almost had to drag her down the stairs. We took a seat at the table and Mony started to pile her plate full of the hundreds of options Mrs. Moalch laid out on the table.

My head suddenly felt heavier. My head was pounding in my ears and I had to swallow the feeling of nausea when the smell of all the different options mingled together. I shook my head to try and get rid of the dizzyness.

"Aren't you going to eat something?" I jumped, startled, when Mrs. Moalch spoke up from behind me. I plastered on a smile and turned in my chair to face her.

"No thanks, Mrs. Moalch. I don't usually eat in the morning," I told her, still smiling.

"Here you go. Just try a bite, if you don't like it you can just leave it," she encouraged as she put a single piece of toast on my plate. When I turned to watch Mony she blurred a little. I blinked a few times in confusement and my vision cleared again.

I took a small bite from the toast, not wanting to upset Mrs. Moalch. She was an excellent cook, even her toast tasted wonderful.

"Hello, mother," Kane's husky, morning voice came from the doorway. I smiled instantly and heard Mony giggle.

"Good morning," I hummed as he sat down next to me. He glanced at me and his face darkened to a light pink before he looked away. I glanced down and realized why he was blushing.

I was wearing his shirt.

"I'm sorry. I didn't have any pajamas and your mom offered-" I started bubbling as I tried to explain. I looked up and met his laughing eyes. Oh. Oh. He was teasing me. I scowled at him for laughing at me and he had to clear his throat to stop himself from laughing.

"It's alright. I don't mind, I like this outfit better anyway," he smirked as I glared at him through my blush.

"I'll go get dressed," I muttered and got up. Kane chuckled and moved his chair closer to the table so I could get passed. Just as I passed him a wave of dizziness washed over me. My knees buckled and I gripped the table to keep upright as my head spun.

Arms encircled my waist to stop me from falling, I didn't need to look up to know it was Kane. He eased me back into his chair as he stood fussing over me while I concentrated on getting my breathing under control.

"Mother!" Kane called, rather loudly. There was a crash from the kitchen as she dropped something. I could hear her approaching and saw her freeze in the doorway. The moment she saw Kane standing over me like a guard dog she rushed over. She held her hand to my forehead and immediately drew back.

"You're burning up," she exclaimed. Mony was now also standing over me and I was struggling to breath. Kane's hand was still gripping mine so I looked up to him. He bend down so he was next to me.

"Space," I murmured softly. He squeezed my hand and picked me up.

"Is it alright if Ella stays at home with you today, Mother?" he asked as I tried to burry my head in his chest. Why was everything so loud. The room was smothering as if heat was attacking me from every angle.

"Oh, I insist. She's not going anywhere today. Will your dad be alright with you staying here, sweetie?" she asked me and I stiffened. Kane tightened his grip on me and said something to his mom I didn't catch. But suddenly I felt Kane lowering me onto a mattress. Mony was right behind him. She hugged me and kissed my forehead.

"Get better," she ordered me with a worried smile. I nodded gently and she waved goodbye as she left the room with one last wink at me. I couldn't keep track of the time that was passing.

"Will your da-father find out?" Kane asked gently. I shook my head and smiled softly at him.

"No, we'll be fine. Just tell Simon not to worry or he might burn down the city looking for me," I smiled.

"I'll do that," he promised. I could see the worry he was hiding behind his calm expression. His eyes were screaming in indecision. I knew he wanted to stay with me, but he needed to get to school and talk to Simon.

"Stop worrying, it's just a fever," I tried to assure him.

"You're constantly light-headed and dizzy and now you have a fever. I don't like it," he frowned. I entwined our fingers together and smiled soothingly at him.

"I'll be fine," I said it slowly and he sighed, but nodded. "Now get to school or you'll be late." He bend down so we were a breath apart. Then he touched his lips softly to mine and stood up.

My eyes were already closed by the time he closed the door.