Music // Jerome Valeska

A/n - Warning, this may be pretty cringe-worthy but I have tried to fix it XD

~

You walk down a long, narrow path through a small grove of trees. 

In Gotham, this corner of respite is your safe haven. When the darkness of the city gets to you, you come here and sit under this particular tree. 

Ever since youth, you came here and listened to music, to relieve your stress. Your nights as a child were spent under the branches of this tree, it holds special memories for you. No one ever comes here other than you. This is your home away from home.

The evening is cold and dark, your emotions conveyed in the gloom. Trying to cheer up, you play one of your favourite songs, and stick your earbuds in. 

The lyrics swirling in your head, you try to enjoy this moment. The feeling of emptiness filled with the music, as you close your eyes.

~

Some time has passed since you turned on your music, and you decide that you have been gone for too long. Opening your eyes, you start at the sight of a tall, ginger-haired man leaning against the tree opposite you.

In a frightened movement, you yank out your earbuds and stash them in your pocket. Still sitting up against the tree, you gape at the stranger. His bright blue eyes coldly stare at you, contradicting his boyish smile.

"H-how long-" You start to question, but he interrupts.

"How long have I been standing here? I dunno ten, fifteen minutes. Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't notice me. Or him, and he has a gun." He laughs, pointing behind you.

You jump up and turn so you are facing backward, so quickly that you trip, falling into the stranger's arms. 

He snatches you around your waist. His gentle, but firm hands steadying you. 

You don't see anyone standing in the area, by where you were just sitting. The man chuckles, and you realize you have been fooled. He spins you around so he can look at your face.

He grabs your face in his hands, making a shushing sound. You had forgotten about your ability to speak since you were mesmerized by this strange man.

"You know who I am, don't cha?"

"N-no-o." You stutter at him.

"Hmm... You must not watch a lot of TV then. I am Jerome Valeska, at your service." He lets go of you and bows. 

You take this rare opportunity to run.

Trying to put some distance between you and Jerome, you sprint off the path into the wooded area. 

"Ah, a feisty one are you?" He shouts, and from the tone of his voice, you can tell he is grinning.

You hear his footsteps as he runs to catch up to you. Your shoelace gets caught on a piece of barbed wire that lies on the ground, and you fall flat on your face. In a frenzy, you yank on your shoelace with all your might, cutting your hands and arms on the wire in the process. You start hyperventilating, but don't stop pulling at you laces.

No way, I thought stupid crap like the only happens in horror movies! 

Jerome has caught up to you. You look up into his blue eyes, your facial expressions begging for mercy, though you expect none. 

"You're coming with me, sweetie." He crackles, as he slams a cold, damp rag across your mouth and nose. You instinctively hold your breath.

"You're gonna have ta breathe sometime, hon." He sniggers. 

"Screw you!" You try to say, but it comes out muffled he can't understand you.

"Huh? What was that?" He smirks.

Glaring, you raise your middle finger so he can see it.

"That's not very nice." He laughs.

You inhale that sickly sweet scent of the cloth and black dots swim at the edges of your vision.

"There's a good girl." He giggles, as you lose consciousness.

~

You awake in a dark room, you can only see outlines of chairs and a table. There is dried blood on your arms, and surprisingly they are not tied up. You lie in the corner of a small interrogation like room. You stealthily get to your feet, only to find Jerome leaning against the wall kiddy-corner to you.

"What do you want from me." You tiredly ask him.

"Honestly Y/N, you're just a hostage. Its nothing personal, trust me." He sounds oddly truthful, and sad almost.

"How do you even know my name. It's not like I told you. Unless you're a creepy stalker, 'cause I guess that makes sense." You question in an irritated voice. Jerome turns on the light, and he looks offended that you would call him that.

"For your information, I am not a creepy stalker." He replies slowly, in a very deep voice.

"Really? Cause you seem like a very creepy stalker-type person." You retort.

"I'm just waiting for Jim to come get you. Then you can just mosey on back to your pathetic life." He laughs at you.

"Screw you! You're the pathetic one here!"

He rolls his eyes and leaves, locking the door behind him. 

You figure that this will be a very long night.

(TO BE CONTINUED)