Regret // Harvey Dent

"It's been awhile, hasn't it?" You cockily ask Jim Gordon, as you sit, handcuffed, in the GCPD. 

"It's only been a week. Seriously, I thought you were doing better." He answers with a sigh. 

"Progress." You retort with a humph of indignation. 

It's true though, you used to be in here every other day, for things like petty theft, trespassing, little things like that. Jim seems to be the only one who ever catches you, though. 

Meh, I guess he's a good cop, loathe as I am to admit it.

You spin lazily around on the office chair. 

"C'mon, boss. Just let me go, I 'promise' I won't do it again." You smirk evilly at him. 

"No."

 You roll your eyes at the expected answer, just as Harvey Dent walks into the Commissioner's office. The first thing you notice about him, is his mild attractiveness, and that he looks about your age.

"Hey Handsome, how're you?" You say, flirtatiously. He just smiles at you, and walks over to Jim. 

"This the one?" Jim nods, and Harvey comes over to me. 

"I'm your new lawyer, Y/N. Its nice to meet you." He tells you, with a half-grin. 

"Hmph, I can't afford a lawyer, especially a good one. Besides, I haven't done anything."  

"Really?" He asks with raised eyebrows, sitting in a chair opposite you, with his chin resting in his hand. 

"Fine, I might have done somethings that most people would look down upon. But who hasn't?" You rest your hands in your lap, because that"s the only thing you can do with them at the moment, being handcuffed and all. Then you turn to Jim, who is smiling, finding your frustration hilarious. 

"Why bother getting me a lawyer? It'll be a waste of his time, I'm hopeless." You roll your eyes again, knowing fullwell that you are a lost cause. 

"We'll change that. Don't you worry." Jim says, and Harvey nods. 

Urgh, they're gonna actually try? This will not be fun. 

~~~Skip Three Weeks~~~

"Thank you so much, Harvey! I can't believe they let me off with just community service! I swear I'll never do illegal things again!" You happily exclaim, practically leaping into his arms. 

He smiles sincerely, and hugs you with passion. You feel a huge blush starting to spread across your face. He must sense your uncomfortableness, because he pulls away, shame evident on his face.

"Uh, sorry. That was unprofessional. It won't happen again." 

It won't? Your heart almost breaks with disappointment. 

Even though you'd probably never admit it to anyone, you have fallen head over heels in love with him. Anybody watching you two could see that the feelings were mutual, but unfortunately, love is blind. 

You thought he must either hate you, or think of you as just a friend. He, on the other hand, thought you thought of him as just a friend, and that you were indifferent to him. 

Jim also saw what everyone else did; two people helplessly in love, but intimidated by each other. Naturally, Jim being the kind guy he is, went up to Harvey after you had left. 

"You know Dent, Y/N likes you." 

 At this news, (so obvious to others, but news to him), Dent's face scrunched up.

"Yeah, she likes me as a friend, nothing more." 

"No Dent, she really likes you. As in a 'more than a friend' kind of way, if you know what I mean." Jim nods at the stunned Harvey, trying to encourage him into confessing his love for her, as he says this. 

"You- you're lying." 

Jim rolls his eyes.

"Dent, let's be serious. Y/N loves you, and you love her. Just admit it, and tell her already, before its too late! Or you'll regret it." 

"Are you sure?" Harvey asks in a whisper. 

Jim smirks, "Yes." 

With that, the one lost in love ran to find his beloved.

~~At Your Apartment~~  

When you had reached your apartment after the trial, you started bawling. He couldn't return the love you felt for him, after all. What better reason to cry? 

So the tears flowed, your eyes started to burn with pain, but this made you cry harder, sobs racking your body. 

Of course he could never love me, not after the things I've done. Who could? He probably thinks of me as the biggest waste of time in his whole life! 

Now, you hear a loud knock on the door. At this time, your crying has stopped, and you look mildly better than you had. You answer the door with a sniff, and are horrified at who is waiting there.

The man who you had stole from. 

You had only stole a small amount of money, but he apparently thought you deserved much worse than what you got. 

He pulls out a gun, and since this is Gotham, anyone can lay their hands on a gun. Then, he shoots you.

The pain is so intense, it burns more than your eyes had after weeping. The bullet hit you in the gut, and you knew it'd be a slow painful death. You couldn't move, perpetual pain paralyzing you. 

The man is gone now. Replacing him, was fear and death, the inevitable.

As your eyes close for the last time, you think you hear the sounds of heartbreak, and hopelessness. Of agony, and lastly, revenge. 

Bittersweet revenge. 

~~~Harvey's POV~~~

I stare at her body, bloodied and serenely sublime. 

Why wasn't I here? I could have stopped this. 

I hardly notice the tears dibbling drearily down my face, as I phone for an ambulance. 

I had arrived too late, she wasn't conscious as I held her head in my arms, and told her my true feelings.

"I-i love y-you... You c-can't die now! You gotta make it. Please... Please!" I had yelled, and screamed at her to come back, to fight it, to return to me. I...love her. 

But it was too late.

Jim was the first to arrive at the scene. 

"Y-you were right. I will regret it." I spat spitefully at him, turning to look at Y/N's face for the last time, before walking out of there.

One thing I know for certain; I will find whoever did this, and I will make them pay. 

Sorry its so sad, but I'm in that kind of mood. 

Please comment if you love it, and still want me to keep writing, 'cause I am kind of discouraged right now, and some feedback would be great.

Thanks!