Unintended Breakout // Edward Nygma

You walk up to the intimidating Arkham Asylum, shudders running down you're spine. You hate this place; its very existence threatens you. 

But, you made a promise, and that promise was one you were going to uphold. 

See, months ago you had befriended Ed, the nerd guy at the GCPD. He was odd, very odd, but you appreciated his uniqueness, and he loved making you smile. He would ask you riddles, you would (try to) answer them. Ed would also make puns all the time, an annoying trait, but fun all the same. 

Then you found out that he was a psychotic murder. Yeah, that was shocking to say the least. 

Now, he's in a prison for the criminally insane, and you're visiting him. What could possibly go wrong? Besides everything. . . Yeah, this is probably not a smart move. But, you cannot be dissuaded.

You walk into the cold building, goosebumps spreading on your arms and legs. You go to the place where you'll see Edward for the first time in a long while. Nervous, you sit down at the small table.

Ed walks in, a huge smile across his face. 

You look down instinctively. You're definitely not used to being around murderers. 

"Hello Y/N, I wasn't expecting to see you again."

"Bad thing?" You whisper, almost hoping that he'll say that he never wanted to see you again.

"No, I missed you. I'm glad you came." 

You shuffle nervously, blush creeping onto your cheeks. OK, so you may like him a little. A lot. But, you would never admit that! Especially after he murdered someone.

"Why did you come? You shouldn't be here, its dangerous." He asks, concern etched in his face. 

"I-I had to," You reply in a hushed voice. Were you going to admit your feelings for him? Could you bring yourself to? 

He waits patiently for you to give a better explanation. 

"I... wanted to see you again. It's been awhile."

"I thought you'd hate me. I'm a bad person, you should hate me-"

You roll your eyes, "Shut up! I don't care. Inside, there's still a good person. He's just fighting to come out. You have to let him, or else he'll give up."

"But-"

"You're not listening! I said 'shut up', listen to me! I-" But this time you're cut off by the sounds of struggles and gunshots. The guard standing by you runs out, but is swiftly killed by freed inmates. 

You shriek, hiding behind Edward, as he scrambles to unlock his handcuffs with the dead guy's keys. 

"Crap!" You snarl, as you lunge for the dead guard's gun, loading a chamber, and aiming at a scary-looking dude who's running towards you. You prepare to fire, but Ed shoves the dude away, and he goes without complaint. Ed looks at you with an astonished face.

"What? I wasn't gonna shoot him...I think." 

He tilts his head and smiles, "You're no different than me." 

You look at the gun in your hand, then back at him and smirk, "I am different than you. Almost killing someone is different than actually killing someone." 

After your statement, you both dash out of the building, and into your car.

"Thanks Y/n."

"I really shouldn't be helping you," you state, even as you start the car. 

You drive, heading to your small house at the edge of the city. You stash the gun in the glovebox, just in case Ed goes psycho and tries to kill you. Never can be too safe, you reason, as you saunter into your home. 

It's cozy, and decorated with all your favourite things. Mainly things you find to have more emotional value than decorative value. Your first painting, which looks akin to a natural disaster, and other things from your childhood. He hesitantly walks in, and marvels at the place.

"Pardon the mess, I don't get visitors."

"Hmm..." He mumbles as he looks at a failed drawing of a butterfly, which you made when you were three. In other words, it's ugly as heck.

"Don't look at that! Its hideous! Spare yourself." You call at him, while making some iced tea. 

"Not ugly, per se, . . .  just idiosyncratic." He reasons, and you smile. 

"Want some," you motion towards the pitcher of iced tea. He mumbles a faint 'yes', and sits down on the couch, you sit in the chair opposite.

"Y/N...." 

"Yeah?" 

"I have to tell you something."

"Yeah?" You raise your eyebrows.

"I l-like you, as more than a friend, and I-"

"Really?" 

"...yeah?.."

You can't speak, and you shake your head, "Nah..?"

"..Yes, I do."

Blinking slowly, you sip your tea loudly. 

He looks at you confused, "Are you okay?" 

"Uh-huh."

"Do, um, do you want to go on a date with me?"

You continue sipping your tea. 

He stares at you.

"Oh, sorry. Are you talking to me?"

"You're the only one here!" He exclaims, bewildered.

"I am?"

Now he blinks slowly at you, "So do you wanna?"

"Wanna what?"

"Go on a date with me?!"

"Huh, sure. I did kinda just help you break out of Arkham, so why not?"

"Great. Do you mind if I-?"

"If you what?" You say, finishing your tea.

"If I do this," he says, closing the gap between you. He plants a sweet kiss on your lips. His hands glide across your back, and you couldn't be happier in this moment. 

Special thanks to Krumsbabe for the request! I hope you like it!

Please comment and request!

Thanks!