The Nightmare

From the shadows where I am hidden I can see nothing, but hear everything

From the shadows where I am hidden I can see nothing, but hear everything. Which is the last thing I want to hear. I hear the sound of strong doors being broken open, voices of an angry mob yelling, boots on the stairs. There is a strong smell of smoke that fills the room, a panicked child's voice, and an angry adult female's voice. I can hear water sloshing in a bucket, the angry female stops yelling, and her voice turns into a scream of pain.

That scream chills me to the bone. I want to run towards the person, but I can't. I want to cry out, but I have no voice, I want to do something, but I can't do anything. All I can do stay huddled in the shadows, eyes squeezed shut, hugging the massive tome I have been entrusted with,and pray to Lurline that this is all a nightmare.

Then the screaming stops. A deathly silence fills the room. Something is wrong, something happened and I have a sinking feeling I know what. In a moment though the door is busted open, the angry mob fills the room. Voices immediately begin talking anxiously and quickly. There is a cheer of joy that erupts. "All hail Dorothy! All hail the slayer of the Wicked Witch!"

My heart shatters into a million pieces, and the moment I know everyone has left I come out from my hiding place. Looking around my gaze falls upon a pile of black clothes that is soaking up some sort of green goo like substance. I sick up, and then slowly go over to it. I begin to cry as I stretch out a shaky hand and take hold of the pointed black hat that is the middle of all the... the... I can't even think of what... who this mess once was. I collapse down to my knees not caring I am getting messy, and burst into tears.

Elphie! My dear, poor, Elphie! Why did you have to do it? Elphie, they were just shoes! Just some stupid, silly shoes! I knew I was lying. They weren't just any shoes they were her sister's shoes, and Nessarose was the one person I knew she would do anything for, and because of me Nessa was dead, and now in the end my best friend was dead too. Elphie, I'm sorry. I...I'm sorry, I never meant for it to end like this. I... I love you! All I can do is sit there hugging the hat and the Grimmeire that she placed in my keeping and cry. After a several moments of crying I let out a scream as loud and as long as I can.

~~~~~~~~~

I wake up screaming, trembling and covered in sweat. Sitting up I realize I had been dreaming again. I take a shaky breath. It was the same damn dream I have had almost every night since that horrible day. Getting up I don a robe, and cross the room to the vanity. I sit down and stare at the women in the mirror. She looks tired, has dark circles under her eyes, and is pale. Her strawberry blonde hair is just beginning turn grey. Girl, you look terrible! If people saw you like this they would never follow you. Shaking my head I sigh and look at the little clock on have beside my makeup. Quarter to two in the morning. Figures. I realize that today is the final day of a week long celebration throughout Oz that had to do with the death of the Wicked Witch of the West. The death my Elphaba.

The thought of her death again brings tears to my eye, and beginning to feel overwhelmed with guilt, grief, and anger. As worked up as I am I begin to have an anxiety attack. With trembling hands I reach for one of the bottles on my vanity that contain just one of the ten pills I take to just get me through a day. I can't get it open though because my hands tremble too much, and just when I am ready to give up when my husband, Chuffery, is by my side. "Here let me help you with those." He opens the bottle and hands me two. "Another nightmare?" I nod popping the pills and downing them with some water he hands me. "The same damn dream I have every time."

He hugs me close. "Glinda, I know it's hard, but don't you think it's time to move on? I mean she has been dead for three years." Glaring I look up. "Get over it? Get over it!? You don't just get over the death of someone you love! Not when you are there when they die!" He sighs. I know what he is thinking. He doesn't believe that I ever loved her, but he has stopped voicing it knowing that it only upsets me. "I'm sorry honey." He says before kissing my forehead. "Come on back to bed, and after today we will see about scheduling a getaway for the two of us. Maybe we can get out of the city for a few days and go to the cabin." I give him a small smile returning to bed with him. "That would be nice."