Unexpected Discovery

A knock on the door awakens me, and I blink confused for a moment forgetting I was back in my childhood room

A knock on the door awakens me, and I blink confused for a moment forgetting I was back in my childhood room. "Glinda?" My mother's voice softly calls as she opens the door. I roll over and stare blurry eyes at her as I try in vain to blink away the sleepy haze.

Stretching I sit up slowly. "How long have I been asleep?" I cover my mouth as I yawn.

Momsie smiles. "You have been asleep for almost three hours. I figured you would want to get up and have a chance to freshen up before supper." I return her smile. "Thank you Momsie." I reply as she goes to leave.

Looking around I see a dress draped over a chair in the corner I hadn't noticed before. "Momsie?" She pauses in the door and looks back at me. "Yes dear?"

"Whose dress is that in the corner? I don't remember owning a dress like that, and yet," I pause momentarily, "and yet it looks slightly familiar."

Momsie looks towards the dress, and I notice she swallows and shifts a little. She hesitates a moment before she answers. "It belongs to... to, " She looks very uncomfortable and whispers, "It's Elphaba's."

Before I can ask anymore questions she closes the door. I mechanically make my way over to the chair where the dress lay. I had to see for myself.

Reaching a shaky hand out and pick up the dress. I hold it out and examine it in the sunlight coming from the window. Same black beaded pattern, same stiff collar, and same scratchy fabric she preferred.

Leaning close to it I breath deeply. It smells of eucalyptus, lavender, a faint smell of air, and a scent that is uniquely Elphaba. It can't be her dress! It just can't be! She's dead! I know she is because I was there, and yet, this smells of her...

I toss the dress back on the chair and turn on my heels. I run a brush quickly through my hair, ignore my makeup, and storm out the door. I want answers and I want them now!