For Good

Once back at the house I shut myself in my room and cry

Once back at the house I shut myself in my room and cry. Elphie, what happened that made you forget all we talked about when last we meant? I close eyes as the pain of that meeting comes flooding back.

"Glinda, you have to take this." Elphaba says holding the Grimmerie out to me. "You must keep it safe, for me, please." I take the Grimmerie, and look at her confused. "B-but why Elphie? You know I can't read it."

"You have to learn to then." She looks at me sadly. "I'm limited. Just look at me." She steps back a little and holds out her arms to her side a little. "I'm limited," and then she places a hand on my shoulder gently, "and just look at you, you can do all I couldn't do, Glinda."

Just then there is a lot of yelling going on near castle that is gradually getting louder, and we are both startled. She goes and looks out the window, but we both already know it's the witch hunters coming for her. Elphie turns back to face me, and she looks sad. "Now it's up to you, for both of us." I shake my head trying not to cry, and she tucks a curl behind my ear and tips my chin up to look me in the eyes. "Now it's up to you."

I take her hand in mine, and begin to quietly song. "I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn, and we are lead to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return." I smile sadly at her. "Well, I don't know if I believe that's true, but I know I'm who I am today because I knew you." I turn to look towards the window, and make a motion like something is sweeping across the sky. "Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun. Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the woods. Who can say if I've been changed for the better," I look at Elphaba again, "but because I knew you, I have been changed for good."

Elphaba returns my gaze, and takes my hand in hers, and to the song. "It well maybe that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part, so much of me is made from what I've learned from you." She brings my hand to her chest and holds it there. "You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart, and now whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend." I can't help but begin to cry, and dispute how it would burn her, Elphaba gently places her hand on my cheek and brushes a tear away with her thumb, and continues. "Like a ship blown from its mooring by the wind off the sea. Like a seed dropped by a sky bird in a distant wood. Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you..." I smile at her and sing, "Because I knew you..." Our voices blend as we both declared in unicent, "I have been changed for good."

She grips my hand a little tighter and hangs her head in shame, and her voice sounds sad and pleading as she continues to sing. "And just to clear the air, I ask forgiveness for the things I've done you blame me for."

I let go of her hand and gently tilt her face up so I can look into her eyes. I give a sad, apologetic, and understanding look. "But then again I guess we know there's blame to share." We both smile at each other as our voices blend again. "But none of that even matters anymore!"

"Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun!" I sing out.

"Like a ship blown from its mooring by the wind off the sea!" She joins.

"Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the woods!" I take her hand.

"Like a seed dropped by bird in the woods." She squeezes my hand, and our voices blend again. "Who can say if I've been changed for the better. I do believe I have been changed for the better."

I smile at Elphaba. "And because I knew you..." She smiles back. "Because I knew you..." Our voices blend again. "Because I knew you, I have been changed... for good."

We embrace for a moment, and I can feel all the love she has for me in that hug, and then she kisses me, gives me one last sad smile as she wipes a tear from my cheek.

After that she quickly shoves me back into the shadows between a corner and the wardrobe. "Stay here!" She orders. "And no matter what you hear or sense going on stay quiet, stay hidden and don't move!"

"But Elphie!" I start to object.

"Promise me Glinda!" Her eyes beg me to promise her, and I have a very terrible feeling about that request. A request I know I will regret agreeing to, but I do so for her sake. "Alright I agree, but I don't like it!" I say glaring at her. She nods and looks miserable. "I know, my sweet, but it's for your own safety, and no matter what hold, out my sweet. Try to move on."

Before I can question her there is a loud crash, and Elphaba rushes away from where she hid me. It was after that my life and my world shattered.

I open my eyes and realize I was crying. I take a shaky breath. Pull yourself together Glinda. I remain lying hugging Elphaba's hat, and for once I don't want to take the many pills to deal with the pain or any of the other feelings. My big, green, mean thing is alive! My best friend, my true love is alive! A small smile creeps across my lips despite how much it hurt to hear what Elphaba said, I find I am at peace. "I love you, Elphie." I whisper, and drift off to sleep.