The Letter

Once I knew the guards had retreated back down the hall I exhale the breath I hadn't realized I was holding, slowly turn from the door, and go over to where Chistery is struggling to free himself from the tablecloth and various other items he was ...

Once I knew the guards had retreated back down the hall I exhale the breath I hadn't realized I was holding, slowly turn from the door, and go over to where Chistery is struggling to free himself from the tablecloth and various other items he was stuck in. Kneeling down I help out. "Chistery, oh Chistery is it really you?" He looks at me and nods. "Yes." I can't help but smile and hug him.

Chistery suddenly pulls away from my hug and begins to chatter quickly. "Lin, Glin, Linda, Glinda!" My eyes widen in amazement. "Yes Chistery, my name is Glinda. How did you know that?" It had been three years since he had seen me, and he couldn't even speak this well. He digs around quickly in a small satchel like bag I hadn't noticed before, pulls out something, and holds out towards me. "Glinda only. Lin, Glin, Linda, Glinda only" He rambles on making some monkey noises. "Chistery!" I say a bit harshly but not unkindly. "You must keep your voice down. They guards will return if they hear you. Do you understand?" He goes quiet. "Gar! Guards bad!" I notice he shrinks towards the corner quietly looking afraid.

I quickly and gently pick him up again. "Oh Chistery, I am sorry. The guards use to be bad, but you see things are different now." I give him a sad smile. "The guards now do what I tell them. They have since... since Elphie," I swallow the lump that is forming in my throat and blink back tears, "died." Chistery gets over excited and jumps down from my arms and begins hopping around. "Glinda! Glinda!" He chatters flawlessly and shoves the envelope that he pulled from his tiny satchel into my hand. "Open!"

Taking the envelope from him I go sit at my vanity. Why in Oz am I suddenly afraid to open this? I stare at it quietly for a few moments. Chistery watches me. "Open! Open Glin!" He starts to chatter at me in monkey then. I look at him briefly then back at the envelope. "Okay Chistery." My hand trembles slightly as I open it, pull out the folded paper, and then open that. There written in my mother's beautiful flowing handwriting is a short note containing just two words:

Elphaba lives!

The letter blurs and swims before my eyes. I am having trouble breathing, and I am suddenly very shaky. Chistery takes a hold of me and tries to steady me. "G-Glinda?" Everything goes black.