Riding

Waking up I blink and look around trying to figure out what time it is

Waking up I blink and look around trying to figure out what time it is. It's bright outside. Brighter than when I came in here. Standing I realize I still her hat, and go tuck it back in the trunk. I notice a shadow and it hits me. It was the next day! I had slept the remainder of the afternoon and all night!

I quickly change my dress, wash my face and reapply my make up. There. Perfect. I think as I finish brushing hair. I slip into my pink high heels, and head out the door towards the dining room.

As I approach I heat Momsie and Popsicle talking, and so I quietly enter and take my seat. "Good morning." They both look up and smile. "Good morning dear. How are feeling this morning? Maizy told us you cut your visit short with your friends yesterday because you had a migraine."

I nod. "I did." I lie as I take sip of tea. "I get them now and then, but it isn't anything to worry about. I find some good sleep and quiet help a lot." I look up at them and smile. "Thank you for not having anyone disturb me last night."

Momsie smiles. "It wasn't hard to tell you didn't want to be bothered. You did lock your door anyone after all."

After breakfast Momsie and Popsicle inform me that they will be out for most the day because they have a meeting with some of the leaders from the next town over. They ask if I would care to join them. I politely refuse, and they soon leave.

The day is pleasant, so I decide to go riding, and as I get ready I have Maizy tell one of the grooms to saddle a horse for me. It isn't long before I am headed out to the stables.

"G'morning Lady Glinda." A young man says as he leads out a beautiful dapple grey mare. "This is Twilight Sky. She is a newer horse and as gentle a horse as you could ever want." He smile stroking her nose.

Smiling I look her over. "She is beautiful, and I can tell she is also fast and likely a high jumper?" I ask raising an eyebrow in question.

"Aye, that she is, but why are you wondering that?" He looks questioningly at me, and just then old Jake comes in. "She asks because though she may look like a lady I have never known Glin to ever ride very lady like." He smiles. "She loves to gallop across the fields and race through the countryside jumping anything that gets in her way, or at least attempt to. She doesn't always make the jump herself, but her horse always does."

"Hey! That's not fair! Name one time I never completed a jump!"

He grins. "The time you tried to jump Henry Calport's wagon on a dare, and you ended up breaking your arm because you couldn't hold tight to the saddle horn."

"I was only ten, and it was Shenshen's horse, and I was not used to riding him!" I pout. They begin to laugh. "It's true!" I object.

"That maybe true, but in all seriousness, Lady Glinda, please be careful." Old Jake smiles as he helps me mount. "I wouldn't want to see you get hurt."

"I can go along with her." The young groom says looking hopeful. "No you won't Vincent. You have chores to do around here, and I think Lady Glinda would like some time to herself." Vincent looks crestfallen.

I smile at him. "Vincent, it was kind of you to ask, but Jake is correct. I do need some time to myself, and being the leader of Oz hardly allows that. Maybe next time I can beat you in a race." I grin and gently nudge Twilight Sky into a trot before he can respond.

It feels wonderful to be riding again. I hadn't realized just how much I missed the feel of the breeze in my face or the rhythmic sound of horse's hooves galloping on the soft ground. I giggle almost childishly each time I jump a log or a small creek, but I keep riding wishing I could continue on forever, but I can't. That thought brings a frown to my face.

"Whoa girl." I say calmly bringing Twilight Sky to a halt, and I dismount dropping the reins so she can nibble at the grass. "I've missed all this." I say to her as I sit down and lean against a tree. She watches me with those big brown eyes of her's, and I can't help but notice her eyes are as dark as Elphie's.

Elphaba's eyes always so full of life. Eyes that seemed to pierce right through you if you dared anger her, and yet , they would also sparkle and shine when she was thoroughly amused. Her eyes seemed at times the only way to know what she was truly feeling, and yet no matter how angry, joyful or upset never shed a tear. All this I think just because I notice the horse I ride has the same color eyes.

Sighing I mount up and turn Twilight Sky back towards the house. I begin to head back towards the house.