Time to Think

I hear two voices

I hear two voices. One belongs to Chuffery and the other is the broken speech of Chistery. "Tell me who you are or I shall call the palace guards!" Chistery screeches in fright and begins stuttering, "Ch- Ch-Chistery!" the winged Monkey stammers frantically. I regain my senses and finding myself on the bed. "Chuffery please stop." I say sounding rather groggy. "He is a friend."

"Glinda!" Chuffery says coming to my bed. "Thank Oz you're okay!" I give him a weak smile. "Of course I am okay. Why wouldn't I be?" Chuffery gives Chistery an angry look. "Because I came in here to find that.... that wicked Monkey looming over you!" Chistery screeches at him "No! No hurt Lin, Glin, Linda, Glinda!" He stumbles over his words and flaps his wings in irritation. "Be quiet you beast!" Chuffery snaps. "I will call the guards and have them lock you away!"

I sit up much too quickly. "No Chuffery! Please Chistery is not wicked, nor was he hurting me!" Chuffery looks doubtful and goes to reply but I stop him. "He was delivering a letter to me from my mother!"

"Glinda why would he be delivering a letter from your mother? He is one of the horrid beasts that the Wicked Witch-" I grow angry and slap him. "You know full well she was not wicked! I told you this a thousand times! Chistery come here." The Monkey quickly comes over to me. "Listen Chistery I need a day or two to think on this and decide what I am going to do. I am not sure this letter is true, but I will consider that it very well might be, and so for now I would like you to either stay here in my chambers or go stay in the tower that... that... you know, the one she... she flew out if the day she met the Wizard." I hang my head and try not to cry. Chistery bless his sweet monkey heart, places his hand on my cheek and gently gets me to look at him. "Y-yes Glin, understand." I smile and hug him. "Thank you Chistery."

Chuffery watches the interaction and looks a little ashamed. "I am sorry Chistery. Seeing Glinda unconscious and then seeing who... what you are I immediately assumed the worst. I ask your forgiveness, and please feel free to stay." Chistery gives him an award bow. "Thank you, must leave in morning. Glinda's mother worried if I don't return."