The Train Ride

After a couple days of thinking and talking things over with Chuffery I have come to the conclusion that I should go visit my parents regardless if the letter is true or not

After a couple days of thinking and talking things over with Chuffery I have come to the conclusion that I should go visit my parents regardless if the letter is true or not. Chuffery has been telling me as of late that I need to get away for awhile. Though I am hesitant to leave my position as leader of Oz, but I have been told countless times that all will be well in my absence, and that is why I am now seated in a private train car on my way to the Upper Uplands in Gillikin.

The view from the window I sit by is beautiful. I smile as I remember the first time I rode the train it was when I was headed to Shiz. Who would have thought I would have ever made it into Shiz. The memory of the ride is something I won't forget. Closing my eyes I remember that trip well.

"Galinda Arduenna Upland, sit down right now!" My Ama says as she grabs my arm. "You really are much too old to be behaving in such a childish way."

Scowling I follow her back to our seats. "But it's the first time I have ever been on the train!" My voice is whiny. "You have been on trains before, Momsie and Popsicle have been on them too, and now that I get to ride on one you won't let me even explore it!" Slamming down into our seat I glare out the window scowling.

"Galinda, train cars all pretty much look the same. The only ones different on here are the sleeper cars and the dining car." I go to say something but she keeps speaking. "You will see both cars later. Right now though you stay right here."

"I am so bored though!" Ama smiles at me, and reaches into her bag. "I figured you might say that so here I brought this." She hands me a book of some sorts. I look at it then give her a questioning look. Ama sets the book on my lap. "It's the handbook for Shiz. I figured you hadn't read it yet, and you best. The last thing you or your parents need is you getting tossed out for breaking the rule. How in Oz does she know I didn't read it? I mean I hate reading, but really? Sighing I pick up the book and begin reading.

I don't remember falling asleep but I must have because the next thing I know I hear my name being called. "Lady Glinda, I am sorry to wake you, but I thought you would like to move to your sleeper car. You may be more comfortable there."

Smiling I thank the conductor and proceed to my sleeper car, but once I am laying in bed I find it hard to sleep. The memory of Ama makes me cry. Yet another life that was needlessly wasted because of me. Digging through my purse I dig out my assortment of pills and take several of them allowing me to drift off into dreamless sleep for a few hours.