A Family Outing

The following day is busy from the get go

The following day is busy from the get go. I head downstairs after preparing for the day when my parents greet me. "Good morning my dear!" Momsie says crossing the hall to kiss my cheek. She looks so happy, and so I decide not to ask about last night.

"Good morning Momsie. Popsicle." I say rather cheerfully. "How are you both this morning?"

"We are doing very well. In fact, we decided that since it was such a beautiful day that we would treat you to breakfast in town, and then spend the day shopping." Popsicle smiles as he tells me all this.

I can't help but look surprised. "You want to take Momsie and I to breakfast, and then take us shopping? Are sure you are feeling well?" I can't help but tease him remembering how much he detested going shopping with Momsie and I when I was younger.

He pretends to look hurt. "Well, it isn't everyday one gets to treat her goodness, Lady Glinda, to breakfast, and besides can't a father spoil his own daughter every now and then?"

Momsie and I begin to laugh. "Very well Master Upland," I say in the tone I use when addressing those who seek my council, "I shall allow you to accompany me to breakfast." He and Momsie look amused before I continue on in my almost squeal like way after that, "I also can't wait to see all the new and old shops."

We spend the morning at one Rosalie Diner. It had always been my absolute favorite when I was younger, and it remained true now.

"Good morning Highmuster! Larena!" The owner greets my parents with a huge grin. He turns to me. "Lady Glinda, your goodness, it is an honor." He says giving a low bow and kissing my hand.

I smile and nod my head slightly in a little bow like gesture. "Master Calloway, it is a pleasure to see you again, and please address me simply as Glinda. I am here to get away from formal titles and worries of ruling for a little while."

"Ahh! A vacation is it? Very well, Glinda, please follow me and I shall seat you and your parents someplace where you shall have complete privacy."

"While I thank you for the gesture, I would like to decline it." I say and notice a him look slightly crestfallen. "It is just that I have been away from Gillikin for ever so long and I shall love to observe my people."

He gives me a smile. "Very well. Come follow me then." We follow him to a small table on the patio of the diner. "Now may I take your order?"

My parents and I look through the menu, and soon they place their order. "And what can I get for you Glinda?" He notices me frowning with a slight pout. "Why Glinda, whatever is the matter?"

"I don't see my favorite dish on the menu. You use to serve the most delicious stuffed french toast. They were filled with strawberries and a sweet cream cheese filling. Then you topped it off with a vanilla icing, and fresh diced strawberries. Then you sprinkle a bunch of powdered sugar on it just before serving it." I can't help but get a dreamy look in my eyes and sigh as I remember my favorite childhood meal. This causes my parents and Master Calloway to chuckle. "Every bite was like... like... oh I don't know, but I was so hoping that I could have them." With that I look at Master Calloway with big puppy eyes, a very childish pout, and manage to even force myself to almost cry.

"There, there Glinda, my dear, no need for tears. I can make you what you would like. It is true we no longer carry them, but for you my dear, Glinda, I shall make only the best." He smiles and pats my hand reassuringly. I blink a few time trapping the fake tears from falling. "Thank you Master Calloway." I say giving him a small shy smile.

When he leaves I notice my parents staring at me rather amused. "What?" I ask innocently. Popsicle laughs and Momsie responds, "Galinda Arduenna Upland! I thought that now that you were an adult and the ruler of Oz you would have given up such antics. I mean, you use to do that to get what you wanted when you were a child, but now that you're an adult it isn't done!" She scolds playfully.

I give Momsie a slight scowl, pull myself up so I am sitting straight up, turn up my nose slightly, and toss my hair over my shoulder. "Momsie, why in Oz would I not use that tactic? It works, and gets me what I want. After all," I say narrowing my eyes, looking amused and slyly at her, "I learned it from you. Don't think I didn't notice all the times you did the same thing to Popsicle or others when you wanted something." She goes pale and looks over at Popsicle with wide eyes and a look of shock as he burst out laughing with me. "Well, Larena, she has a point." My mother after a moment begins laughing along with us.

We spend the remained of the day shopping, and I greet various individuals who come up and greet me. I am fully aware of the stares from everyone as we walk past. It isn't everyday that the ruler of Oz is in town, and everyone seems to want to talk to me.

It is late in the afternoon, close to evening when I turn to my parents. "Today has been a wonderful day, but I must admit I am beginning to feel rather drowsy." As if on cue I stifle a yawn. Momsie and Popsicle agree. We return to our carriage and head home.

Once home we have a small super in the non formal dining room, and then retire to our rooms for the night. It is a matter of seconds after my head hits the pillow that I am asleep.