Goodbye My Almost Lover

Several days have gone by since we had spent the day together in the woods and I have hardly seen Elphie

Several days have gone by since we had spent the day together in the woods and I have hardly seen Elphie. She has spent most of her days since then shut up in her room. She won't talk to me or Bessie, and she just stays curled up on her side in bed staring out the window across the room from her.

I'm worried about her. Afraid that what I told her was too much for her to handle. Momsie says to give it time, and Bessie has promised to keep a close eye on her. Yet, I am afraid I have lost her even though she is in the room right across from me.

I long to go to her, and hold her. Several times I have gone to her door to knock, but find that I can't. I want to tell her it's okay if she doesn't feel that way anymore. That's a lie. I tell myself. You would be devastated. That maybe, but it would free her from having to try and remember anything that ever happened between us.

Tomorrow I have decided that I will move out of the cabin. I will leave my parents estate and go somewhere else. Somewhere where I can start over, and forget about Elphie. You won't ever forget her, but you know staying could hurt her and you. I don't want to leave, but I must.

I see now I was wrong to come and live with her. To try and make her remember a life that was so long ago. A life I so selfishly want back. So tonight I have packed my things, and gotten things ready to go. I will leave in the morning before Elphaba wakes up, and I will leave Bessie behind to help her. I convince myself it's the least I can do, and so I send a message note with Bessie to my parents letting them know what I have decided.