Was There Love?

We spend the entire day in a beautiful clearing near the brook talking, and just enjoying our surroundings

"Glinda?" I look over when I hear Elphie call me. "Yes?" She is sitting under one of the trees with eyes closed. "Tell me about us. I mean we're we always friends as you say?"

I am silent for a while, to the point that Elphie opens her eyes and studies me. I clear my throat and slowly answer. "Well, n-no. We use to hate each other. In fact, I use to bully you." I admit embarrassed. "I called you artichoke, and harassed you to no end, but we were eventually friends." I say quickly noticing her frown. "Elphie, you helped me see that there was more to life then begin popular, and I wish I could say how you did that, but I can't. There really isn't way I can."

She gives a small smile. "I'm glad I was able to help you, even if I don't remember doing so." She remains silent after that just staring off in the distance, and I lean back against the tree I am sitting by. Just as I begin to doze off she speaks. "Glinda, where we ever more than just friends?"

I open my eyes startled, and she blushes deep emerald when she notices. "I- I'm sorry." She whispered. "I should not have asked that. I was out of line."

Sitting up I turn to face her. "No, it's perfectly okay that you asked." I give her a small smile and she gives a small one back. "Why do you ask though, if you don't mind me asking?"

She gives a small shrug. "I'm going to sound crazy, but it's almost as if I get this odd feeling every now and then. A feeling that I know I know you." Elphie's brow furrows in frustration. "It's like there is a part of me deep in my heart that tells me I loved you at some point." She gives a small chuckle and looks away. "I told you it was going to sound crazy."

I study her a few moments. Do you really remember? Please remember! I silently beg of her, and then I find myself moving closer to her, taking her hand in mine, I gently turn her face so she is looking at me. I give her a smile and she smiles back shyly. "Elphie, you are not crazy."

"How can you say that?"

"I can say that because it's true. That feeling you have deep inside is genuine. There was a time years ago that we loved each other. First we thought we loathed each other. Then, we thought we were just friends, but one day we realized it was more. We realized that love and hate were are so strong that we often mix the two up, and when we thought we had hated each other we actually really and truly loved one another." She silently sits there, and I can almost see by look in her eyes and the expression on her face she is desperately trying to process it all.

I stand after a few minutes. "Come along, Elphie, it's getting late." She stands and the walk back to the cabin is silent, but I don't mind, because I know Elphie is struggling with what I told her. I glance at her every now and then hoping she is okay. Please be okay. I silently beg her. I know that just telling her that little bit is a lot for her to process, and I so want to help her, but I also know there isn't anything I do for her and that is what hurts the most.