Storms

Another peal of thunder rumbles very loudly, and I jump in fright and look around wildly

Another peal of thunder rumbles very loudly, and I jump in fright and look around wildly. Racing to the bed and bury my face in the pillow. It figures that the night before I plan to leave there is a storm.This makes me cry even harder when I think about that. Why you may ask, becaue I hate storms for two reasons, first off thunder scares the hell out of me and second, they remind me of Elphaba. My dear sweet Elphie. She never did like that name said it was "too perky," but I always called her that. I think it was my way of telling her I cared about her. Elphie would hold me close when it stormed. I remember the first time she held me. It feels like a million years ago.

"Elphie, are you sure we should be staying here? It doesn't look safe." I whine grabbing my roommate's arm as we head towards a rather dumpy looking inn. "Glinda, there isn't any other place we can afford to stay. It's getting late, I'm tired, and it looks as if a storm is brewing." Elphaba says leading me inside.

We approach the innkeeper and soon are headed to our room. I shudder as we step inside. There is a single bed pushed up against one wall, a small end table with a candle and a wash basin in the corner at the head of the bed, and one round window right over the head of the bed. I realize then that there is barely room for one of us to walk beside the bed, let alone the both of us! We are in a space no bigger than my closet!

"Elphie, I can't stay here, it's much too small! We barely fit in here!" She sighs as she looks out the window, and almost as if on cue it begins to pour outside. "We can't go back out now."

Grumbling I drop my bag. "OUCH! Glinda watch it!" Elphaba growls as she shoves my bag off her foot. "I'm sorry but there isn't any room to move in here, let alone a place for our luggage!" I snap.

She glares and shuffles around to the side of the bed trying to get out of the way. "Let's just get some sleep shall we?" She says as she digs out her nightgown. Sighing I too take out mine and begin the tedious task of getting ready for bed in a space entirely too small for even a mouse.

"How are we supposed to sleep when there is just one small bed?"

Elphaba studies the bed for a moment then replies, "It won't be an issue. I don't take up much room, so I will sleep on the edge of the be-" "Are you saying I am fat!?" I screech at her angrily."

Elphaba glances at me and looks annoyed. "No I am not saying you are fat. I am saying I can sleep comfortably on the edge of the bed. I think you will be more comfortable if you were to sleep by the wall, and have the remainder of the bed." She shrugs like it really isn't a big deal, but I don't like the idea.

As soon as I manage to get ready for bed I crawl into my designated spot and lay down. Great a lumpy mattress and the bed creaks. What next? I think as I stare into the darkness at the ceiling. "Great just! Just great!" I grumble.

"What is it Glinda?" Elphaba mumbles.

"There's a stupid spring poking me in the back!" I whine. "Sleep on your side." She mumbles. Sighing I flip onto my side accidently kicking Elphaba in the back of her legs. "Ouch! Glinda do you mind!" I stop moving around and try to just deal with the uncomfortable mattress "Sorry Elphie." After I finally manage to get comfortable I close my eyes and just begin to doze when a loud peal of thunder is heard, lightning flashes, and sit bolt upright with a slight scream.

"What's the matter?" Elphaba asks lighting the candle and looking at me worriedly. I close my eyes and take a breath. "N-nothing. The storm just startled me that's all."

She looks at me a few minutes and goes to put the candle out when another rumble of thunder is heard, and my hand flies to my mouth as I try to keep from screaming. Elphaba notices and studies my reaction for few minutes. I try desperately not to react as the storm intensifies, not realizing I have my eyes squeezed shut, practically doubled over, and crying.

"Glinda?" Elphaba says calmly. I glance her direction and immediately flinch as thunder rumbles again. "Glinda, are you okay?" She sounds very worried.

I start to nod then shake my head. "N-no. The... the storm... it... it scares me." I admit quietly. I hide my face in my hands waiting for her to begin teasing me. I know if I were her that's what I would have done, but she doesn't say anything, and just as I begin to think she has fallen asleep she awkwardly hugs me close. "It's okay Glinda. You have nothing to worry about." She coos softly in my ear. "I am right here, and I will help you forget all about the storm." She then holds me close, kisses my neck, and before either of us knew what was going on we shared ourselves with each other. After we finished making love she continued to hold me close and sings to me softly till I eventually drift off to sleep. If I had known that was the last time I held my Elphie, I would have prayed to Lurline that the storm would have gone on forever.

The memory seems so long ago, and now here I lay trembling in the dark wishing I can hold her again. I know she is right across the hall, but I can't go to her. I hurt her and confused her enough, besides if I were to go to her now I wouldn't want to leave in the morning. I know that for a fact, and I have to leave for her sake and in the end mine.

I begin looking for my pills knowing that they could at least make me fall asleep. I remember after about ten minutes of looking that I had gotten rid of them all. I sigh, and then stifle a scream as another rumble of thunder is heard. I race back to my bed and curl up burying my face into my pillow.

I don't know how long I have been curled up crying, but suddenly I hear my name called softly. "Glinda?" My eyes snap open and I roll ever to see if I am dreaming or not, and I am shocked to see Elphaba standing there. She watches me much the same way she did that horrible, wonderful stormy night so many years ago. "Oh, Glinda, it's going to be okay." She says as she slides into bed beside me, and I can't help but cuddle up against her and bury my face against her chest. I can hear the calm beat of her heart, and I focus on that hoping the rhythmic sound will help calm me. "Everything is going to be alright, my sweet." She whispers, and begins to stroke my hair.

I flinch with each rumble of thunder and flash of lightning, but Elphie stays with me though. After several minutes she whispers. "Please don't leave." I look up at her startled by her request. "B-but how did you know?" I whisper to her surprised. She gives a small sad smile "I couldn't help but notice your trunks and bags are all packed and stacked near your door." My eyes find hers in the dim light of the flashes of lightning. "I... I'm sorry. I should have told you."

Elphie is so quiet I'm afraid she is either very upset at me or she has fallen asleep, and so I am a little startled when she does speak again. "Please don't leave Glinda." She whispers. I look up at her wonderingly. "I... I came over here because I had a memory, more like a feeling I guess, that you needed me to comfort you." She says noticing me looking at her.

"You remember that storms bother me?" I ask cuddling closer as another rumble of thunder shakes the cabin. She holds me a little tighter, and yet, still so gently. "As I said it was more of feeling, and... and I think that maybe... maybe I... Glinda please don't leave!" There is a slight pleading sound to her voice.

I sit up and look down at Elphaba as she stares up at me. "Elphie, how could I possibly leave you now?" I say and quickly find myself cuddled again her as more thunder is heard. "I was only going to leave because I thought you couldn't get better, but now, now there is a chance."

"So you will stay?" She asks stroking my hair again. I smile and nod. "Yes Elphie, I will stay." I can hear the smile in her voice as she whispers. "Thank you, my sweet." I can't help but smile as well. "You're welcome."

Soon I find myself starting to doze off, despite the raging storm, as I listen to Elphaba quietly humming, and I smile. I may not have Elphaba as anything more than a friend right now, but that's okay, because at least I have my best friend, and that is all that matters to me. With that last thought I drift off to sleep wrapped in Elphie's gentle embrace.