A Race to Save a Life

We raced as quickly as we could back to the house knowing we were risking it with the weather as stormy as it was

We raced as quickly as we could back to the house knowing we were risking it with the weather as stormy as it was. After a scary race through the storm we finally made it back to the house.

We dismounted as one of the grooms takes the reins. Jake carefully pulled Elphaba down. "Where should I put her?" He asks as we enter the house. I look over at Maizy, and she informed me that the only room she was able to get ready was your old room."

Momsie goes silent for a moment closing her eyes, and I know that telling me what happened to Elphie was hurting her. I hug her, and she hugs me back. "I hadn't been in your room, Glinda, since you had become the ruler. I never figured that the next time I was in there would be to try and save Elphaba." I don't know what to say so I just hold her, and she eventually continues.

"We got Elphaba on the bed, and Jake went to go fetch a doctor as Maizy and I began to try and get her out of her soaked clothes."

"Lady Upland," Maizy says with alarm, "she is covered in sores and burns!" She sounds frantic.

I glance up at her as I carefully begin to remove Elphaba's soaked corset. "She is very allergic to water, and the longer her wet clothes stay on her the worse she is going to get. Please Maizy, get something we can bandage her up with." Maizy stares at Elphaba shocked. "Maizy!" She looks at me started. "Bandages now!" She shakes herself and dips a quick curtsy. "Yes Ma'am, right away!" She says rushing away.

By the time she returns I have managed to remove all of Elphaba's clothes, and she worse than I thought. Her legs, and arms were more blistered than I had realized. Her face was blistered that if it weren't for her verdigris I wouldn't have known who she was. "Oh, Elphaba!" I gasp as I gently move her matted bloody hair away from her face.

It isn't long after I get some bandages on her that the doctor finally arrives, and to my surprise Jake had gotten Leopard "My name is Dr. Bek Mau." He begins to study her for a few moments, and then looks at me wide eyed. "Is this who I believe it is?" I try to remain calm nonchalantly reply, "I don't know who you mean." Dr. Mau looks amused as he continues to check Elphaba. "I can tell by the faint hint of verdigris that this young lady is the Wicked Witch of the West." I immediately go pale, and get very nervous.

The Leopard watches me closely halting his examination. "If you intend to have me fix her up only to then turn her over to the Gale Force for execution of crimes she is innocent of I will not help you." I immediately look up at him surprised and slightly relieved. "I have no such intentions. Miss Thropp is as a daughter to me." He narrows his eyes still studying me for a few moments before he nods. "Very well. I will help her the best I can, but I will warn you that me helping her is just as dangerous for me as it is for you if you are caught harboring her."

"I understand that, and I am willing to risk it all for." She carefully strokes Elphaba's cheek. "She.. she is like a second daughter to me."

Momsie goes quiet, and sighs as she looks out the window. "It's getting late." I go to object, but Momsie cuts me off. "Glinda, I am sorry. I can't finish telling you what all happened, but I promise you I will tell you more tomorrow. "Now get some more sleep. Good night my little Galinda." She kisses my forehead. "Good night dearest, darlingest Momsie."