Old Friends

The third day I was relaxing and tending the roses with the gardener when a carriage comes rolling down the lane towards the house

The third day I was relaxing and tending the roses with the gardener when a carriage comes rolling down the lane towards the house. Squinting against the sun I strain to make out who it is. "Who do you suppose that could be?"

The gardener looks up, and shields his eyes. "Why Lady Glinda, I do believe that that carriage belongs to your old school friend Miss Pfanee." I must have looked surprised because he goes on. "Your parents told me Ms. Pfanee, Ms. Shenshen, and Ms. Milla were planning on coming for a visit today. Didn't they tell you?"

I shake my head. "No, they most certainly did not." Sighing I stand. "I suppose I should go and greet them. I would hate to leave them waiting." Although, I really would rather not socialize today.

I arrive back at the house only moments before the carriage comes to halt. The driver dismount the carriage, and opens the door. I smile as Pfannee, Shenshen and Milla as they exit the coach, and look slightly surprised as two young girls follow them out.

"Glinda!" Shenshen says as she and Pfanee rush to hug me. "Shenshen. Phannie, it's so nice to see you again." I turn and smile at Milla noticing she isn't dressed as fancy as the other two.two girls. "Milla, it is so good to see you again as well."

Milla gives a slight curtsy. "Glinda, it's been too long since we have all been together." She turns to the two girls, who I immediately notice are identical twins, standing beside her. "Please allow me to introduce my daughters, Clover and Lily." I smile at the two girls. "It's very nice to meet you girls." They immediately curtsy. "Nice to meet you as well, your Goodness."

Once formalities are out of the way I lead them over to the patio where I notice Maize has brought us some lemonade and various small sandwiches and other finger foods. "Please, would you sit down?" I motion towards several seats, and my guests take a seat. We spend tea time catching up on what we have been doing the past couple years, and then the subject takes a turn that leaves me feeling rather uncomfortable.

"Glinda, I can't believe that it has been three years since you showed such braverism, and sent that child, Dorothy, to defeat the Wicked Witch. How did you know she could do it?" Pfannee says with a look of pride that would make anyone think she had sent Dorothy on the trip to see the Wizard.

I gave a fake smile and shift slightly. "W-well, I... I just saw..." I close my eyes making it seem like I was recalling that time. Forgive me for this Elphie. I think. "I saw a vision of the child defeating Elphaba," the mention of her name causes Shenshen and Pfanee to gasp, while Milla daughter quickly grasps her hands.

"Oh! Glinda! You mustn't ever say her name!" Shenshen says reproachfully. "It's bad luck!" I give a slight snort and roll my eyes. "Elphaba is dead. She can't do anything to anyone anymore, and anyone who thinks she can is just plain crazy!"

"Well, rather it is or isn't it's too late now." Pfannee smooths her gown slightly. "Remember in Shiz when you felt sorry for her, Glinda, and tried to help her. She was so pathetic!"

"I remember when Glinda got her to wear that horrifical hat! She looked ridiculous, but she insisted on wearing it." Milla laughed. "I do believe she honestly thought you were her friend, the poor thing." She says shaking her head. Her daughters were giggling almost uncontrollably at this. It made me sick to think they believed what was being said, but then again haven't I fed the lies as well?

By that time I had grown silent and was fed up with the turn of conversation. Who did they think they were talking about my Elphie that way!? Didn't they know I had the means to burst their little dream world of how perfect everything was. No, Glinda, you can't do that. Elphaba wouldn't be happy with you if you did.

Closing my eyes I begin to rub my temples. "I'm sorry ladies," I interrupt one of their stories, "but I am afraid I will have to ask you to leave because I feel a migraine coming on."

"Oh you poor dear!" They all begin to start fussing. "Ladies please!" I say in my most commanding voice. "Please leave. I can assure you I will be fine. I just need to go rest for a while." Before they can say anything else I nod to them and leave the room.

Once again when I get to my room I close the door, lock it. I go over to the vanity take out the pills I have come rely on more often and take three. Then go over to the closet and begin to dig through it till I find one of my smaller trunks. Pulling it out I open it and take out her hat. The same hat I had thought so horrid and gave it as a joke to her. To my surprise it had actually looked good on her. Oh, Elphie, I'm so sorry! I think hugging it close as I go and lay down on the bed, and soon I am asleep.