The Announcement

Two weeks later the citizens of Oz are gathered in the courtyard of the Emerald Palace that I use when making announcements

Two weeks later the citizens of Oz are gathered in the courtyard of the Emerald Palace that I use when making announcements. I take a deep a breath as I begin to float above them in my magical bubble, and cast a quick amplifying spell that will allow me to be heard all over the square easily with no microphone. "Fellow Ozians," a hush falls over the crowd, "I stand before you to say thank you for all the support you have given me these past few years as you leader. We have been through so much together, and each and everyone of you holds a special place in my heart."

"And you hold a special place in our hearts too, Lady Glinda, your Goodness!" I smile as the young child yells out from somewhere near the front. "Thank you for that little one." I reply, and as much as I would love to make a longer speech I am having difficulty keeping my composure at it is. "I have asked you all here to make a very important announcement." The people lean forward and are silent in anticipation. I clear my throat, lick my lips, take a deep slow breath, and continue. "It is with great sorrow that I must announce that as of this moment I have decided to step down as you ruler."

There had never been such a buzz ever that I had heard since the announcement that the Wicked Witch was dead! "Please, please quiet down." I say, and as soon as the crowd goes silent I continue. ".I have given great thought and care, and I have come to the decision that will bring much change to the land, but I also believe that it is a good change." I pause to take a sip of the water provided for m. "It is time for Oz to begin choosing the own leaders."

This too brought a huge buzz to the crowd, but I ignored it. "You all have the right to have a say in who should lead, and so let it be known from this day henceforth that Oz is now a democracy, and until you have elected a new ruler I leave Averic, the Margreave of Tenmeadows in charge. I will take no questions. May Lurline be with you all!" With that I exit the balcony to the sounds of a buzzing crowd, and head one last time to my quarters before leaving.

I left that same afternoon and rode the train back to Gillikin arriving a couple days later. It was an odd knowing that I wouldn't be going back to the capital, but I felt lighter at the same time. No more dealing with major issues others couldn't resolve, no more guards following me everywhere, no more pretending to be happy, and most of all more lies! I was going home and I was going to take care of my Elphie even if she didn't remember that.