Ending A Life of Lies

It was two days later when Chuffery got home from his business trip that I called him to my study

"Glinda, dear, I am glad you made it home safely. I didn't expect you back so soon. Wasn't your visit home a good one?" He said while taking a seat across from me.

"It was good." I give him a small smile because let's face it it was a really good trip overall. "I didn't call you here though to discuss my trip."

"Oh?" He looks a bit surprised. "Well, then please tell me what it is."

I stand and walk to the window. Staring out for a few minutes I collect my thoughts before I speak. "As you know my visit to my parents was not just for a vacation, and I went there seeking some answers to questions I had about a letter I received."

"Yes, I know you went to find out if Elphaba was actually alive, and I am assuming you realize now that she is actually dead." His voice sounded smug and uncaring. I hear him prop his feet up in my desk. The nerve he has! I think to myself.

Turning from the window I fix him with a cold look. "As a matter of fact, Sir Chuffery, she is indeed alive." He goes pale as he sits up from his reclined position. "Her being alive is the very reason I asked to meet with you. I married you not long after she 'died,' because you asked and the people wanted a leader that had a man at her side."

"That maybe true, but I don't see what that has to do with what we are talking ab-"

"It has everything you do with it!" I snap. "The truth is, Chuffery, I never loved you. If I had had it my way I never would have married you. I also know you never actually have loved me either."

"Glinda, dearest, surely you jest." He says pretending to look hurt.

"No I don't. I never jest when it comes to matters such as this. I know you married me for the power and title you would have as my spouse. I also know you don't just go on business trips when you go out of town." He pales his eyes widening. Good! He is actually listening now. "I know about the other women you have seen and been with throughout our marriage, and I have let it slide because of the fact I have no feelings for you. Chuffery, I guess what I am trying to say is I am through."

"Through? W-with what exactly?" He stammers out.

"I am through with you. I'm through with living a lie. I'm through with letting everyone else believe a lie, and so a I am leaving. I will be divorcing you and stepping down as the leader of Oz as soon as I am able to. There is nothing you can say or do to change my mind." I watch him closely as I place a folder in front of him.

He opens it and reads over the divorce papers, and after several moments he picks up a pen, dips it in ink, and signs his name. "Very well," he says. "You now have your divorce. Good night Lady Glinda." He says calmly exiting the room.

I exhale the breath I had been holding. "Well that went better than I thought." I mutter to myself, and yet at the same time I feel very alarmed by how smooth it went.