Remembering Popular

I knock on Elphie's door, and I get no reply

I knock on Elphie's door, and I get no reply. I knock again a little. "Elphie, are you in there?" After a few moments I hear what sounds like a quiet thump, and then some shuffling. The door opens a very sleepy Elphie stands before me. "Good morning." I say with a smile."

"Morning." She yawns and blinks sleepily. "Did I wake you up?" I ask nervously. She nods but smiles. "It's okay. I should be up anyways. Please come in." She says opening the door a little wider to let me in.

"Thank you." I say entering her room. "Sorry to have woken you up, but I wanted to know if you would like to spend the day outside today? I was thinking we could go for a walk in the woods, and then maybe have a picnic lunch near the brook?"

She smiles as she starts to look through her closet. "That sounds like it would be nice, and it looks as if it is going to be a beautiful sunny day." She says glancing out the window before taking a black dress out and heading for her bathroom to get ready for the day.

I begin walking around her room just looking at things. There are three or four books on the night stand by her bed, a small wash basin and pitcher that she has flowers in, and a small vanity that has a comb, brush and a few hair ties on it. I can't help but smile when I see a single pink rose hair clip there as well. Looking at it reminds me again of when we were at Shiz.

"Elphie, now that we are friends I have decided to make you my new project." I say with a smile bouncing down excitedly beside my new friend on her bed.

"You really don't have to do that." She says adjusting her glasses and watching me closing.

"I know that's what makes me so kind." I say with a grin and start singing. "Whenever I see someone less fortunate that I, and lets face it, who isn't less fortunate than I, my tender heart tends to start to bleed. And when someone needs a makeover I simply have to take over! I know, I know exactly what they need. And even in your case," I take her glasses off and study her before shaking my head and putting her glasses back on her. "Though it's the toughest case I've yet to face." I begin to pace a little and think. "Don't worry - I'm determined to succeed. Follow my lead," I take her hand and pull her over to my bed and sit her down, "and yes, indeed you will be...Popular!" I smile at her and she looks a little hesitant and skeptical.

"You're gonna be popular!" She rolls her eyes at this and shakes her head. Before she can say anything though I go on. "I'll teach you the proper poise when you talk to boys.Little ways to flirt and flounce, ooh!" I give her playful nudge with my hip and wink, and she goes wide eyed as I head for my wardrobe. I dig through pulling out shoes. "I'll show you what shoes to wear." I hand her a pair then grab a brush and start taking her hair down and styling it. "How to fix your hair. Everything that really counts to be popular!" I study her face and grab my make up she tries to get away at that point, but I grab her hand and pull her back onto the bed.

"I'll help you be popular! You'll hang with the right cohorts." I say with a smile putting my arm around her. "You'll be good at sports." I mimik playing golf. "Know the slang you've got to know. So let's start 'cause you've got an awfully long way to go." I nod giving her a sympathetic look. She just sighs and shakes her head. "Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis. Now that I've chosen to become a pal, a sister and adviser, there's nobody wiser, not when it comes to popular!" I smile patting her arm reassuringly. "I know about popular! And with an assist from me to be who you'll be, instead of dreary who-you-were—well are!" Does she look offended at that? Oh well. I shrug at her and smile broadly. "There's nothing that can stop you from becoming popular - lar!" I begin dancing around the room and twirling. "La la, la la! We're gonna make you pop-u-lar!" I bop her nose, and she wrinkles it up and glares at me a moment.

"When I see depressing creatures with unprepossessing," Elphie seems to be impressed I can use big words to, "features I remind them on their own behalf, to think of celebrated heads of state, or specially great communicators. Did they have brains or knowledge?" I turn to look at Elphie. She nods and replies. "Well, yes they do, and-" I cut her off and laugh. "Don't make me laugh! They were popular! Please," I roll my eyes, "It's all about popular! It's not about aptitude. It's the way you're viewed, so it's very shrewd to be very very popular like me!"

I pause in my singing and pull out my wand. "Now hold still Elphie. I'm going to make a beautiful ballgown appear on you." She slowly stands. "Are you sure you can do this?"

I giggle. "Of course I can, silly! Now please hold still!" I give my wand a gentle wave. "Ballgown!" I say as I aim it at her. Nothing happens. "Hmm." I scrunch up my face for a moment then. Nod. "Ballgown!" I say again giving the wand a slight flick in Elphie's direction, and again nothing happens. She laughs. "Want me to try?" I shake my head, and tap my wand on my hand a few times. "Is this thing on?" I go to try and cast it again, and look at Elphie and just sigh. "Forget the gown, and wear the frock. It looks pretty." I lie, but realize I can't make the ballgown appear.It is then I have an idea and take a pink rose I have clipped in my hair, and turn to her. I gently clip up in hers and smile with a gasp. "What?" She asks a little nervous. "What's wrong?" I smile and hand her my hand mirror as I sit down beside her and put an arm around her shoulders. "Why, Miss Elphaba, look at you. You're beautiful!" She stares at her reflection for a few moments, and she smiles a little before looking stern again and shoves the mirror back me. "I...I have to go!" She says quickly before running for the door and leaving.

I look after her surprised and shake my head. "You're welcome!" I watch her run down the hall as I stand in the doorway. "And though you protest your disinterest I know clandestinely you're gonna grin and bear it your new found popularity - Ah!" I turn and dance a little again. "La la la la." I look in the mirror and smile a little smugly. "You'll be popular. Just not quite as popular as me!" I sing as I flop down onto my bed still Gazing at my reflection.

I chuckle at the memory, shake my head, and look at myself in the mirror. "Hey, Elphie?"

"What is it Glinda?" She says coming from the bathroom. I turn to look at her. "I was wondering if you would wear your hair up in a braid today?" She looks a little surprised at the request. "I... I suppose I can, but why?" She asks tilting her head to side a little.

"Its, well, it's that you use to wear your hair like that once. When we attending Shiz." I am slightly embarrassed for some reason and so look at the floor.

"Oh, I didn't know that, or I mean, I don't remember that, but I will wear it in a braid if you would like. I don't mind."

"Really? Are you sure?" I look up at her as grin crosses my face. She smiles back and nods taking a seat at her vanity "Just give a few minutes and I will be ready to go."

"Okay! I am just going to go let Bessie know what we are doing and see if she can't whip something up for us to have for lunch." I quickly leave to go find her.