Consent to Stay

"Elphie, I wanted to let you know that I have decided to move in here with you

"Elphie, I wanted to let you know that I have decided to move in here with you." I say smiling as Elphaba looks at me confused. "You do remember who I am don't you?" I ask worried she may not. She nods slowly. "You are Glinda, Lady Upland's daughter. Why would you want to move in here with me?" She says giving me an odd look.

"I want to be here to help you. I also believe that it isn't good for you to be alone here all the time."

"I'm not alone all the time. That Monkey, oh what's his name?" She says furrowing her brow as she tries to recall. "Chase? No, that isn't it. Chester? No that isn't it either." She growls in rubbing her temples frustrations, and I watch her struggle to remember. I want to tell her, but I know if I do it won't help her. "Chistery! That's his name! I have Chistery to keep me company." She says beaming with pride that she was able to remember.

I return her smile, and know she can see how proud I am of her for remembering. "I know Chistery comes around, but he isn't able to be here all the time. You really should have someone here with you, and besides I think I can help you remember your past."

She shrugs and looks back down at the book she had been reading when I came to talk with her. "I suppose you can do as you please. This is after all your parents' house, and therefore your house as well." I sigh irritated at how she just kinda brushed it off like it was no big deal. "Elphie, I will be moving in with you now. If you need me I will be in the room across the hall from yours taking care of my things." She grunts a reply and continues to read. So like you, Elphie. I think heading to the room along with Bessie to get my things unpacked.

"Bessie, she doesn't want me here." I whine one morning as she helps me into a dress. "She hardly talks to me ever!"

"She hardly talks to anyone, Glinda." Bessie says with a small smile, helping to do up the many buttons that are on the back of my dress. "Besides she enjoys having you here."

"How do you know that?" I ask as I begin to apply my make up. Bessie chuckles as she finishes doing up the last of the buttons. "She told me she likes not being alone, and that having you here almost makes her feel like things could be normal for her."

"She told you that?" I ask wide eyed. "When?"

"Just the other day when I was helping her tidy her room." She says with a shrug.

"Why didn't she tell me?"

"I am guessing it's because you were still asleep. You had stayed up fairly late the night before. She wanted to tell you, but she didn't want to wake you."

I am quiet for a few minutes. "Maybe I'll go talk to her. Where is she?"

"Last I knew she was in her room." I thank Bessie and exit the room to look for Elphie.