Chapter 7

* Chapter 7: Help! *

John smirked and brushed his am hand against my arm, "You know, we could.." John chuckled. "John what do you mean?" I smiled uncomfortably. 'God if he wants to do what I think he wants to do.. I don't know should I l? No Lucy, think about it. You've only known him for a few months. Lucy.. Just say no.' I began to argue with my self. "We can.. play cards." I sighed in great relief from those four little words.

"Yeah sure, or we could just go out and walk." I suggested. It was cold outside so I could calm my now burning cheeks. "Yeah sure, luv. Let's go." He said as he got up from the couch. And led me to the door.

We walked around in the cold, talking about the weather, music, school, anything that came to mind until we stopped walking. "You wanna go inside?" John asked as he pointed up to a red lit sign that spelled out 'THE CAVERN' I nodded and walked in with him.

Since it was Friday, more teens walked in listening to the rock band that took center stage, from what John explained.

"Those boys are so annoying. They think that they own the place. They're ok, they got a good drummer, and the singer has a nice face but that's it." John muttered. "Who are they?" I asked.

John went and ordered pints. Once the pints were ordered he took me to a booth facing the stage. "Who are they?" I repeated.

The singer had blond hair and was a complete teddy boy, down to his stride. The drummer, who is also a teddy boy had almost a chocolate brown hair with a grey streak hidden. He had blue eyes, and a sort of clumsy way of walking as if he were about to fall.

"Rory Storm and The Hurricanes." John answered plainly, "Stupid name isn't it?" I scoffed, "Maybe he wants to be a meteorologist. You never know, but he does have a nice face." He looked at me, "Don't even joke around like that." His grip on the pint tightened. "Loosen up John, it's just a joke, just drink some more, you'll loosen up." He nodded and drank.

"One, two, three, four, Test." Rory spoke through the microphone. The rest of the boys tested the sound of their instruments. John ordered us another round. They had basic playing skills in which they sounded good. But, not good enough. John began to make faces at them. I grabbed his arm, "Calm down. John, they're not that good."

"Aye, at least you have good taste in music unlike those other birds." John laughed.

After the performance, the boys left their instruments in cases and began to take the amps off stage. "So did they sound good?" John asked. I shook my head, "You're so much better." He grinned triumphantly.

After a while of talking, John got up from the booth, "I'll get us some more drinks." I nodded and let him get another round. Within a moment a boy walked up towards the booth. He had black hair and brown eyes. "Hi I'm Daniel, I noticed you for quite a while and I would like to um... can I buy you a drink?" He asked gesturing towards the bar. My face went red and I didn't know what to do. He seemed nice but it didn't feel right at the same time. He rubbed his hair awkwardly. "So can I?" he repeated.

Suddenly I felt an arm around me. "Sorry, she's with me." John said rather bothered by the man's shyness. He nodded "Oh, sorry.." and left.

"Um John?" I asked. John nodded. "Why do you still have you arm around me?" I asked hoping he wouldn't put it back. "Well, it's comfortable."John replied simply, tightening his grip gently.

I smiled slightly, trying to hide my excitement.

The next band was unusual for it's time slot. It was jazz band known for it's covers. "Hello, we'll be playing a few tunes for you tonight until the act shows up.." The olive skinned man spoke with a clear Spanish accent. He began with a very outspoken song. All the couples took to the dance floor and swayed slowly with the rhythm. "Lucy, Would you like to dance with me?" John asked quietly into my ear. I nodded happily and took his hand to the dance floor.

"Place your hand on my shoulder." John said softly yet firmly. I nodded and did what was told as I felt John's hand slide onto my waist and his fingers met the small of my back. We began to sway as the music took it's course.

We were so close yet I felt so far.

"John, why is it that when I'm with you I'll be the closest person to you, yet I feel like your so far away?" John simply smiled softly as I leaned my head on his chest. "Because, I tend to do that." He explained. "Why?" I asked as if I were a small child. He simply chuckled at the question and continued to lead the dance.

Once the song was over, he led me back to the booth where we drank another round of pints. I checked the clock which now showed 7 pm. "Oh shit! My parents are going to be worried sick." I muttered. "Why?" John asked not realizing the situation. "Because, I'm partly drunk, I smell like alcohol, I'm not home, it's late, and I haven't called." John looked at the clock for confirmation. "Well, why not call Loretta and ask if she can cover for you? And my aunt Mimi is out of town and you can stay over tonight?" John offered after a few minutes of formulating the idea. "Um, I guess I can try that." I said unsurely.

My parents are usually calm and understanding when it comes to my last minute notifications. They understand that things pop up and can deal with it rationally. I went and to a phone booth with John near the bathrooms. He handed me a coin from his pocket and I dialed Loretta.

After a few rings she picked up. "Hello?" she said tiredly. "Hey, it's Lucy, I just wanted to know if you could cover for me. I'm with someone right now and I need you to call them and let them know that I'm sleeping over at your place.." Loretta hesitated, "Um, yeah sure, seeing that you're a close friend of mine, I can do that." "Thanks! You're the best!" I said happily. I hung up the phone and John looked to see my response, "Well..?" His ever growing grin showed in the dim lighting. "She'd cover for me."