Chapter 11

* Chapter 11: Lovely Rita *

My mother, Margaret, or Rita as my father calls her, was always the light of my family. She always knew what to say, and how to say it. Unlike my father. Him being a doctor has it's benefits and disadvantages. For example, we have a decent amount of money, not in the sense that we're wealthy beyond all compare, but we do have money. But since he is a doctor he's never really home, so his parenting skills weren't the sharpest.

Once I got into the shower I let the lukewarm water trickle down my body. Each drop sliding off unknowingly taking routes leading towards the shower's drain.

*********

Once I got out, I headed towards my room and changed into red pants that fell right above my ankles, my white shirt and black cardigan. I pulled my hair into a pony tail and walked out of the room. My mother had set the table for lunch, which was salmon and potatoes.

My mother was an excellent cook, I remember when I was about 7 I asked her how she was a good cook, and she simply smiled like she always would, and said, "With love you can cook the best."

We all sat down at the table, said grace and began to eat.

"So, Lucille, how is school? Doing well I presume." My father asked, noticing that no one was really speaking. "Yes, I have more friends than I think I would. And my academics are fine too." I smiled politely. He nodded, "How is orchestra?" "Good, we're doing Variations on Paganini. It's simple but the style of the piece is interesting." I replied.

All he cared about was academics. Always. From what my mother said, he would've shipped me directly to boarding school. That is if my mother hadn't convinced him to let me go to public schools where they can see me often. She cared about the social side of my life, while he cared about my education. Which really showed that my parents were opposites. For example, my father wants me to become a psychologist, while my mother wants me to be happy. She doesn't mind what I want to be when I'm older. Obviously she cares about me getting a good education and everything but she's more open to my ideas of me becoming a music teacher.

"So new friends? What happened to all of your London friends? The ones that you'd rather hang out with?" My mother teased. "Well, I miss then but I don't know, Liverpool seems like it has nicer people than London." I said as I finished the meal.

My mother left to get the tea, leaving me and my father alone. "Have you decided what you're doing?" My father asked. "In what terms?" I asked as I turned my attention towards him. "Lucille-"

"Lucy." I corrected him as he sighed,

"Fine, Lucy, what are you going to be. Profession wise."

I licked my lips before I spoke, "A music teacher. And nothing's going to change my mind."

He looked down, "Very Well.."

I knew he didn't like it but I had to stick with my decision or not be happy at all.

Just then my mother came back With the tea. "Can I go upstairs instead? Sorry I'm not in the mood for tea.." I mumbled. She nodded, "Of course darling." I scurried off from the table and headed towards my room.

My family is sort of awkward, so I find it best that after tea I usually head upstairs to my room. But before we start arguing about my profession, before I even have one, I decided to leave. I looked around my room and noticed the neatly stacked composition papers that were placed all over the room, my bass in the corner with it's amp, and my clothes organized in my closet. Although the room sounds neat, it was cluttered.

I laid on my bed, thinking about my weekend with John.

This was all too much, in a good way. I loved his warm embrace, his long rough hands, his smile. This boy was different to me. I shifted myself and covered myself from the world with my blankets.