Chapter 18

* Chapter 18: Help! *

The sun woke me up. Not so much of a morning sun, but rather a more violent light known as noon. I yawned, not really caring that my hair looked like a mess. I stretched and got up to see the 'beautiful' look on my face. Dark bags, and a tired look. Perfect. I laughed at myself in the mirror at how I kept complimenting myself when I looked awful.
I went to the bathroom to take a shower then went to go find an outfit. Black pants, and a red button up. My hair was damp, on account of the shower that was, so I brushed my long hair and parted it as usual.
My mother was downstairs drinking tea, "Good morning Lucy, do you want some breakfast? I think we have some sausages and eggs, if you want." My mother spoke contently. "Oh that's fine mum, but um, you know how Paul is having this party tonight right?" I spoke softly trying not to let my father wake up bitterly. She nodded for me to continue, "Well, I sorta have a boyfriend now, and he wants to meet you and dad before taking me to the party." I spoke quicker towards the end. "Lucy! When exactly where you going to tell me that you had a boyfriend?" She sounded serious, aside from her ecstasy filled grin. "Maybe after I sent the invitation to a wedding." I teased. My mother had a light sense of humor so I could tease her about this.
"Well, I'd love to meet him." My mother responded. "Good, just don't talk about my baby pictures." I replied. "But you were so adorable!" She pinched my cheeks that transformed to pick at her touch.

*********

Dresses covered my bed. From black to white I managed to put on every dress and thought I looked awful in every dress. "Mom!" I shouted from my room. Soon enough, she opened the door, "Everything alright?" She said admiring my curled hair, and light makeup. "No, I tried every dress that I have and I look awful!" "Well I like the mint colored one you have on.." My mom said trying to cheer me up. "No it's awful!" I whined. She thought for a moment and came back with a tunic dress that had a reflective dark green tone. "Here, put this on." She smiled softly, handing me the dress. I took it unsurely and she left for me to change. The back had a simple row of buttons, that my mother helped with. Afterwards, she gave me a pair of velvet black heels. "There, now you look beautiful." Was all that she said. I looked in the mirror and smiled faintly. The dress was simple, but had character, I added a gold chain with a heart shaped locket and heard a knock on the door. "Dad knows that he's meeting John, right?" I asked nervously. "Yes darling, I spoke with him at around noon." She reassured me. I nodded and ran down the stairs following behind my mother.
My father, slightly bothered with the idea of me dating, opened the door. "Hi, is this where Lucy Robertson lives?" John asked. My father nodded, "Come in." John did what he was told, revealing that he was the tallest in the room. My father was tall, but He reached close to John's neck. "So, you're the one who is dating my daughter." He huffed. John smiled, "Yes sir."
My mother butted in before making it awkward, "Well hello, I'm Margret, but you can call me Rita, and you obviously know Lucy." She smiled warmly making him be put at ease. John nearly lost his breath when he saw me, if it weren't for my dad coughing on purpose John probably wouldn't have moved so he could gaze at me all day. "Oh, um yes, nice to meet you I'm John." He extended his hand out to my mother and shook it.
Why? Why now? Couldn't he just wait to meet them. I guess not.
I stood there awkwardly as my parents interviewed him as he answered each question perfectly. Lacing each explanation with something they'd like to hear.
Sure, I was nervous that they wouldn't like him. My father especially. He knew the type of guys I dated in London. He knew what I got into with them.
That's what made me nervous.
No, nervous is an understatement. It made me terrified.