Chapter 2 - Childhood friends

-Nanami's POV-

Another day full of lessons made me totally exhausted. Miki-chan has a project with her group so she doesn't have much time to hang out with me. I was walking down the stairs lifelessly making my way to the school gate when I saw him standing there at the side of the entrance. He looks great just standing there.. wait what nooooo seeing him only make my heart aches. I turned around wanting to walk back to where I came from so as to avoid him.

"Nanami-chan?" I jumped upon hearing his voice calling my name.

I turned around slightly and smiled awkwardly. The awkwardness is reaaaaaal.  I need to get out of this situation. My legs were moving at a fast speed trying to make my way somewhere, anywhere just away from him.

"Ouch!" I accidentally tripped on a pencil on the floor. "What is a pencil doing here?!" I scowled as I tried to get up. I noticed a hand reaching out for me. He lifted me up with his hand. His hand is really soft and gentle...
"Sorry."
I quickly let go of his hand once I got up.

"You're weird." He chuckled.

I pouted when he said that. There was a few minutes of silence before he finally said something. I looked down the entire time trying not to face him.
He cleared his throat. "I need to talk to you."
I didn't really know how I should respond to that but he took my wrist and made me follow him out of the school.

We arrived at a park near our school. The park was really pretty. It was filled with trees and plants with vibrant looking flowers. He let go of my wrist and sat down on a bench. I sat down too. I found myself staring at his face while waiting for him to speak. His face features are so pretty though.

"So tell me, who are you and why were you following me yesterday?" My heart jumped and I realised my face was blushing from looking at him.

Just when I wanted to say something... A pigeon flew passed me and I squealed from the sudden attack. The wallet I was holding in my hand fell to the ground revealing the picture I've always kept. It was the picture of Kei and I when we were young.

"Ohmygod." I tried to react fast to grab it back but he got it before me.

His expression changed and he was staring curiously at the picture. "Isn't that me..?" He questioned me with a soft voice.
He started frowning and suddenly I heard a groan from him. "Arghh, my head hurts." He held his head as he tried to suppress the pain he is feeling. My hands reached for him and quickly help him up. He was in great pain. "My..bag.." He said weakly. I quickly searched through his bag, looking for pills or anything that can help him. I found a bottle of pills for headache. I took his water bottle and the bottle of pills and handed it to him. He swallowed the pill and calmed down a little. I was looking at him feeling really worried. He was close to tears because of the pain.

I moved closer to him and put my arms around him. I felt the urge to hug him even though it was bold of me to do that. I want to ease his pain. I don't want to see him suffering.

Unexpectedly, he put his hands around me too. Hugging me back. His gesture took me by surprise but he felt so warm and soft. Making me wanting to hug him more.

"You were my childhood friend?" He suddenly asked.

"You remember me?" I gasped and let go of him.

"No... but I felt like you were familiar. The picture..? That's you and me?" He asked.

"Ye..yeah" I sighed a little. I wonder why did he forget? Am I that insignificant?

"Wait, do you usually get such a terrible headache?" I said in a worried tone.

"Sometimes. It occurs unexpectedly." He sighed.

"Why do you keep a picture of me and you in your wallet?" He suddenly asked. I was slack-jawed, unable to believe what I just heard.

"Ohhhhhhh, I just thought it's memorable hahaha." I panicked.

"I guess we were great friends back then." He looked at me with a pleasant smile. I melted at how adorable he is. I smiled back.

"See you, childhood friend." He stood up and waved at me.

"Byebye!" I forced a smile and waved back at him.

I watched as he walked away and bury my face in my hands. I was feeling really confused. I need to know what's going on.

Everything became so different ever since then.

-Kei's POV-

Walking away, I felt a mild headache. Memories of me talking to a small girl flashed in my mind but it was blurry.

• • •

"I found out that I have a childhood friend who is in the same school as me! But I don't really remember her. I wonder why.." I said as I helped my Mom with the dishes.

"Nanami-chan?"

"Yeah that's her. Mom, do you know her?"

"Yes, I do. You were great friends with her."

"Ehhh, tell me more!" I said eagerly.

"Haha another time Kei, you should go get some rest." She patted my head and carried on with her housework.

-Nanami's POV-

I came out of the shower and started drying my hair with the hair dryer.

"Hmm...I guess I'll have to find a chance to talk to his Mom."

I went down to the living room and asked my Mom if she know anything about Kei and his family ever since we moved away.

She was surprised when I asked her since we kind of lost contact with them.

"Ah I see..his Mom contacted me once after we moved away. I think they're still living in the same house?"

"Oh thanks a lot Mom!" I smiled.

It's time to find out what happened since I left.