Chapter 3 - Don't cry

-Nanami's POV-

Knowing Kei has club activities today, I took the chance to go to his house while he isn't there.

"Ding dong!" I rang the doorbell.

The door opened revealing Kei's mom standing there.

"Hi, sorry for the sudden intrusion. I am Nanami-chan, do you remember me?" I greeted her.

"Oh yes, I do. Welcome in." She smiled pleasantly.

"Please sit."

I sat down on the seat of the dining table.

"I didn't know you were in the same school as Kei. I was surprised when he mentioned you." She said as she placed a cup of tea in front of me.

"Thank you." I bowed.

"When school just started, I was scared of approaching him since it's been a long time since I last saw him. He told me that he doesn't remember me. I am worried about Inoo-chan...he had a terrible headache when he saw the picture of us when we were young."

Hearing what I said, she sighed and looked down.

"Actually...Kei got into an accident one year ago. He has lost his memory since then. It took him quite awhile to remember the people around him. He doesn't remember anything from his childhood though. I was pretty surprised when he mentioned your name as I thought he finally remembered something. The...the accident was terrible though.. Kei had a hard time dealing with his head injury...He would get headaches occasionally when he sees something from the past." Tears started flowing down her cheeks as she told me everything.

I quickly grabbed some tissues nearby and handed it to her. It breaks my heart knowing that he has suffered so much while I was gone and I wasn't there for him. I failed as a childhood friend. I moved forward and hugged her. She patted me on the back.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. I'm so sorry." I was tearing up as I hugged her.

"It's okay, Nanami-chan. I'm actually glad to know that you're his friend right now. It would be good if he completely regains his memory. His childhood was filled with happiness thanks to you. He was always wondering about what happened in the past but he couldn't remember anything. It breaks my heart to know that he seems a lot lonelier after the accident. I think he feels really empty. Nanami-chan, I hope you will stay by his side and help him get through this."

"Yes I will. I'll make friends with him all over again." I said in between tears.

After the long talk, I talked about school and my family. She told me to give her regards to my Mom and Dad.

"Thank you for telling me about what happened to Inoo-chan." I thanked her before I left the house. I was still tearing up a little when I left his house.

-Kei's POV-

Ehh I didn't get to see Nanami-chan today.

"Oiii Kei, what are you thinking about?" My fellow club member, Dai-chan called out to me.

"You seem a little different." Dai-chan said.

"Oh, it's nothing. Haha, let's get going."

• • •

I was walking back home on the usual path. From a far distance, I saw a girl with the same uniform walking slowly. I don't really know anyone in the area who's in the same school so I got kind of curious. As she got closer, I saw a familiar figure. Immediately, I recognised her.

"Nanami-chan!" I waved frantically.

She looked up and I noticed her eyes were red and puffy. She tried to smile but I could tell that something was wrong.

"S-See you in...school tomorrow, Inoo-chan..." Her voice was shaky and I felt worried hearing that.

I had the urge to ask her what was wrong...I want to comfort her.

-Nanami's POV-

I wasn't ready to face him. Not yet. I feel so bad about everything.

"Wait! Hold up!" He grabbed my wrist.

I felt my face slamming lightly against his chest. He then wrapped his arms around me.
I couldn't move, I stood dumbfounded, embraced by his warm and soft touch.

"Nanami-chan, why do you always cry in front of me? I feel sad whenever you cry." He said as he placed his hand on my head as he caresses my hair a little.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Inoo-chan..." I cried out loud.

"I don't know what's going on but please don't cry. You'll be fine. I'm here for you if you want to talk about anything." He said gently.

"Why are you so nice to me?"