Chapter 8 - Candles, you and me

-Nanami's POV-

The lights went off, the heater switched off, the fridge shut down, everything went pitch black.

Blackout?!

"Oh wait, seriously now?" Kei said anxiously.

Kei took a chair to climb up to search for the circuit breaker. I used the torchlight from my phone to shine it on him for directions.

He reached for the circuit breaker and tried to switch the power back. But to his dismay, it didn't work.

"The heavy rain must have caused this." Kei sighed.

My body started shivering as the heater wasn't on and it's extremely cold due to the storm. I rubbed my shoulders with my hands.

Suddenly, I felt Kei's hand on mine. His fingers were clutching on mine. It was pitch dark and I couldn't really see where we were going. All I could see was the light that was coming from his phone. He opened the door and I realised it's his room.

Wait, why are we here?

He let go of my hand and he went away. I switched on my flashlight again to see what's going on and I saw Kei taking out a huge blanket and a futon from his closet. Then he went to the other room and took another futon and a couple of candles.

I was just quietly watching what he was doing since I had no idea what to do with the situation.

He then placed everything on the huge space he has in his room and he lighted up all the candles. The room felt a little warmer and of course brighter. Somehow...it feels romantic.

"Nanami, come over here." Kei said gently.

I switched off my flashlight and moved to where he was. We were sitting on a space in front of where the futons are placed.

He took the huge blanket and placed it over the both of us. His gesture made me move closer unconsciously.

"We'll be warmer like this."

I nodded slightly in agreement although it's kind of embarrassing to be this close under a blanket.

"Are you okay with this arrangement? I just thought it'll be warmer if we're close together." He sounded worried.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine."

"Why are you so awkward? Don't worry I won't do anything!" He laughed.

"Pssssh I know. You don't have to tell me." I pouted. I wasn't expecting anything anyway although I would say I'm kind of sad about that. OH MY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU NANAMI. I could hear the devil and angel battling in my head!

"I feel like you have been avoiding me these days." Kei suddenly mention it while he was looking at the candle.

I looked up to see him staring at the candle. His face lights up as he put the glass of candle in front of him. His pretty features always mesmerise me. His eyelids are so defined that I couldn't help but to stare at him. He looked sad for a moment.

"I...I just thought it would be awkward."

"Wait, what's awkward?"

"Well, didn't the pretty girl from class 2B confessed to you?" I accidentally blurted it out.

I wasn't supposed to be there. I gasped the moment I realised I totally revealed it and I sounded like I was jealous. AHHHHHH WHY DID MIKI-CHAN ASK ME TO STAAAAAAY.

"H..how did you know?"

"I was there, coincidentally. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop." I felt so guilty but at the same time, I'm jealous. Damn.

I'm feeling that same annoying feeling all over again since I got reminded of it.

I avoided his eyes and turned to the other side and sulked. The tension right now is kind of awkward.

"I didn't accept it though."

My eyes widened and I turned back to face him. What did he just say? He didn't say yes to her confession?

"Wait what? Didn't she invite you to the Summer Festival?"

"Yeah she did but I didn't accept the offer."

"Why not? She's the pretty and elegant girl who everyone likes and I thought you might like her too..." I sound so jealous, I should kill myself.

"What?"

There's no way I'm going to repeat that.

"Well she's pretty but no...it's not her.." He looked like he was in deep thought.

He just said she's pretty. He probably doesn't see me in that way. Why do I feel so jealous over this? Also, it sounds like he has someone else in mind already...

"Good night Kei." I tried to hide the sadness in my voice.

I got up and I was trying to move to the futon.

"Ahhhhh!!"

I tripped over a damn bottle.

Not sure if I'm supposed to be thankful but my body landed on something warm.

"Keiiii, what's a bottle doing here!?"

I look up to see Kei right in front of me. I met his eyes and he's looking straight into my eyes. My heart started racing like crazy. We are so close that our lips are almost touching. I can feel his breath on my lips. He's holding me by my elbows so that I won't fall. My hands are resting on his chest. This is such an awkward position as I'm literally on top of him and I have no idea what to do or how should I even move. I'm literally screaming internally right now.

I gently move towards the side so I could get off him.

"I..I-I'm sorry." I muttered.

"N-No, it's okay. It's my fault for leaving the bottle there."

I rolled over on the futon and covered my whole face with the blanket. I'M SO EMBARRASSED. That was so intense, I couldn't breathe properly.

-Kei's POV-

That was so embarrassing. I placed my hand on my chest. My heart was beating at such a rapid pace.

I moved to adjust myself on the futon. The aromatic candle is placed between me and her futon. I stared at the blanket that's covering her face. I wonder if she's okay. She sounded upset just now when she suddenly said good night to me. I wanted to spend more time talking to her but I guess now I can't.

Is it weird that I had the urge to hug her?