chapter 8

Knock. Knock.

With a wide grin playing on my lips, I pushed the office door open, eager to tell Taehyung about today's plans. I hadn't told him before, for some reasons, but I was sure he'd love to come with me and Aeri.

"Taehyung, it's—oh, you have company." I was taken aback when I saw a lady inside, dressed in a tight hot pink blouse and pencil skirt, sitting cross legged on the seat in front of Taehyung.

Both of them seemed to be busy with whatever they were talking about that they didn't notice my presence.

A high shrilled laugh came out of the girl and she dramatically raised her hand in the air. "I know! It's like they never learn."

Taehyung chuckled before his gaze landed on me and a thoughtful look painted his face. "Excuse me for a second," he politely said to the girl, and then turned back to me again. "Could you come back later?"

"I just have something to tell you," I sheepishly told him, biting my lip as the enthusiasm in me slowly faded. Though I silently prayed he'd spare me a second and let me talk to him.

The lady with Taehyung glanced at me and gave me a small smile. I returned the gesture noncommittally.

"Can it wait?" queried Taehyung, burning my hopes down. "Ah, tell Ms. Liu. I'll get back to you later."

I plastered a wide, wide smile on my face, cooling myself from the anger boiling inside me. He said it so nonchalantly like I was nobody of importance.

Well, maybe I wasn't important to him after all.

But still!

Ugh, whatever.

Stay cool, stay cool, stay cool.

"Sure," I whispered, backing out of his office.

Who cares anyway? Aeri and I had celebrated her first three months just with the two of us and Somi-ajumma. One time, with her grandparents. Not once was Taehyung included, so what would be the difference now? It wasn't like Taehyung was actually her father anyway.

But at least he could have treated me better than showing that girl like I was some random person who just dropped by his office.

Maybe he was enjoying her presence so much, he was eager to get rid of me.

That Kim Taehyung, sheesh!

"Woah, woah, woah!" Nari blocked my pathway, waving her hand in front of my face. "Who are we going to fight?"

"Someone in hot pink," I deadpanned, swatting Nari's hand away gracefully. "Never mind."

"Oooh, I smell trouble." Nari let out a chuckle. "Oh by the way, happy four months to Aeri! Agh, I wish I could see her soon."

"I'll bring her sometimes, or maybe you could visit." I smiled at her. "Anyway, I'll be going now."

"What about Taehyung?"

I scrunched up my nose, remembering how he practically wanted me out of his office too soon. "He's busy."

"Isn't it too early for a quarrel?" Nari joked.

"Blame it on him." I frowned.

I rushed out of the building, hailing a cab so I could meet Somi-ajumma and Aeri already. Recently, I had been planning to take Aeri out for fresh air, since she had been staying indoors lately.

A few blocks away from the building, my phone rang and oh, how coincidental! Kim Taehyung was calling. I pressed on the lock button, silencing his call.