chapter 13

"I'm his ex-girlfriend."

My hand situated calmly on the armrest as I blankly smiled at the girl in front of me. Nam Hyeri.

Apparently, when Taehyung had said 'old acquaintance', Hyeri was the one he was pertaining to.

But it was fine. It didn't really matter; I didn't really mind.

"Oh..." Ha ha. Sure, embarrass yourself in front of his ex-girlfriend, Kyungmin.

"Didn't he tell you?" asked Hyeri as if she were implying something.

"We didn't really talk about his past relationships," I simply told her and shrugged. "Didn't really think it's important."

"Well, obviously it isn't." She laughed, and I wasn't sure if the pitch was too high or if I were just imagining it.

"Well, we have things to discuss, I hope you don't mind." She gave me an expectant look—or more like a shooing one.

"Ah, don't worry. I'll leave you two now."

"That would be great," she squeaked. "Thank you."

I stood up from my seat, stepped to the side and nodded my head dismissively.

"I'll see you later, Taehyu—"

"So, what's your plan with it? This one seems really nice." Hyeri leaned forward on the table, pointing at the document with her pen, completely blocking me out.

I blinked in disbelief, and Taehyung caught me. Annoyed, I stormed out of his office, not even minding what Hyeri would think because I just found out seconds ago that she wasn't anything near nice at all.

She was Taehyung's ex? Hah. I didn't know Taehyung was into girls like her.

I scoffed internally. Why do I have to stress myself out with girls doing business with Taehyung? Well, why do I even allow it to affect me anyway?

"Every time a girl enters his office, I always feel like something wrong's going to happen," said Nari.

We were currently by the drink dispenser near the leisure room. Nari, Minji and I. It wasn't planned, although I think it was partly Nari's idea to gather here since I had seen her waving at Minji—like a signal to tag along with her for something important —as she had followed me.

On the other hand, I only went here because I wanted a cold drink to cool myself down.

"That Hyeri sounds like trouble," commented Minji.

"I don't want to hear it," I snapped, and when I saw the two with astonishment written all over their faces, I sighed. "Sorry, just ignore me."

The dispenser made a loud thud, and Minji reached for her soda, immediately opening it and taking in its contents.

"Are you sure we don't need to burry someone alive?" Nari suggested, like probably seriously considering it.

We started to walk back to the office and I cupped my elbows, trying to emit warmth with my fingers.

"I'm sure." I nodded. "But I'll call you when I need the shovel."

"Call me if you need a look out!" volunteered Minji, maneuvering to her work cubicle.

I chuckled, feeling a bit lighter now. "Will do!" I replied in a singsong.

~*~

"You know, that Hyeri sort of pisses me off," I absentmindedly admitted, trudging towards the single sofa and plopped myself down on it. Half of me regretted randomly sharing my thoughts, but it felt much better letting it out in the open.

It was half past eight, and I wasn't really sure why Taehyung was staying in the living room, doing his work with some of the papers on the low center table, when he could do it in his room where he had a proper work table.

When I saw Aeri inside her crib, trying to sit down, and then rolled to her side after her slightly successful attempt, I realized exactly why Taehyung was here.

"She's nice," said Taehyung, eyes focused on his papers. He was wearing a loose white shirt and jeans with his eyeglasses on. He looked comfortable and carefree in them.

"Yeah?" I stopped scanning him. "Well I don't think so. She was rude."

"That's just her," he nonchalantly reasoned.

"You mean it's just her being rude?" I reckoned.

"Don't judge her too much."

"I'm judging based on what happened earlier...?" I defended. "I felt kind of insulted, you know? I'm the wife and I was just thrown away by some random girl like that? Oh, I mean, your ex, but still." I pressed my lips into a thin line, lazily letting myself sink in my seat.

And as if I couldn't feel more denigrated from my current state, Taehyung mumbled something in a low voice.

"It's not like you're really my wife."

Crack.

I shouldn't take it this way, but I felt like a million knives stabbed me on the chest because of those words. With a heavy heart, I inhaled deeply.

He's just telling the truth. He's just putting you in place. You crossed the line. Maybe it's really your fault, Kyungmin.

Keeping my rational self, I slowly let out my breath, my chest deflating.

"You're right." I smiled, although deep inside, it hurt. Why the hell should it hurt? "I'm sorry. I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea. Good night, Taehyung."

I stood up and turned away, tears brimming on my eyes. Without looking back despite Taehyung's soft mention of my name—probably because he noticed how my voice almost wavered—I headed for Aeri's crib.

Why do I feel so dense and emotional? It infuriated me to be like this.

"Let's go, Aeri," I mumbled and gulped down the lump on my throat as I stretched my arms out to her. "Time to go back to our room."

— ✿ —