chapter 16

"You've been awfully quiet lately."

Taehyung blocked me from entering my room, and I lifted my gaze to meet his eyes, piercing right through mine.

"I don't really have anything to talk to you with," I said in a low voice, leaning my cheeks to Aeri's head which rested on my shoulders. "Besides, I don't want to bother you."

"I heard you went out with Jimin yesterday. With Aeri."

I blankly looked at him; half of me wondered how he knew. "Yeah. We saw each other when I went to the hospital."

"Isn't Aeri's schedule still next week?" questioned Taehyung.

I bit my lower lip back and exhaled through gritted teeth. The lights were dimmed, so I guess Taehyung didn't notice my reaction.

I wasn't sure of what was holding me back. Perhaps I was just not ready to face Taehyung today.

"You're strong, Kyungmin. But don't be too strong. It's okay to break down once in a while," the words I had heard from yesterday kept echoing in my head.

"Well... we just, visited," I said, hoping he wouldn't question more. It was really unfair, because I wanted to ask some things too. It wasn't just him curious now. But I had never tried to cross that border. Not yet.

"What's wrong with you?" asked Taehyung so suddenly, annoyance lacing his words.

"Nothing. I'm just making sure I don't go over my boundaries." Nevertheless, I should be considerate since it was me who had been benefiting the whole time. I totally understood now if Taehyung wanted to put me in place. I should let him.

"Is this about Hyeri?" Taehyung probed. "She's leaving today, if that bothers you."

I shook my head. "Actually, it's thanks to her that I realized my fault, and thanks to her that I could prevent myself from doing more."

"What do you mean?" Taehyung's brows met, perplexed.

"I realized I shouldn't really be interfering with you, and your life. I'm sorry for stepping in."

Come to think of it, I might still be a stranger. Nobody said we were friends again, after all. So who was I in Taehyung's life right now?

Probably an extra, unwanted baggage. I wish he could endure a little more.

"Are you crying?" he pushed my hair away from my face, tucking the loose strands on my ears.

I almost forgot Aeri was caged in my arms when I had wanted to push Taehyung's hand away. But since my hands were occupied, I ended up standing still.

"My chest...just feels really heavy right now," I admitted. "Just maybe because of stress and everything."

But in reality, it was because of the wall that Taehyung built between us. It felt like he just slammed it against me, and I still couldn't get over being shut out. Sure, it had been a couple of days, but who even said you could just control your feelings?

That, and perhaps other reasons.

I was just sick of this feeling. Taehyung didn't leave again, but the same feeling as being left lingered inside me.

For the past weeks, I might have grown a small attachment towards him, and perhaps it was just so wrong.

Because now, it seemed like he could be gone in a blink of an eye, too. It scared me. So I was trying my best to stay away from him before I get used to his presence, as if I hadn't already been, again.