chapter 10

"Congrats, Mrs. Kim."

I twitched subtly at the address, still not getting used to be acknowledged as Taehyung's wife, but nevertheless smiled and shook Ms. Hani's hand.

"Thank you." I bowed my head politely.

"I'll be filing these papers then. Bless your family, I wish you well." She dismissed herself with a friendly wave and a nod.

The hearing wasn't anything grand. There were a few audience aside from Aeri's grandparents, Somi-ajumma, Namjoon and Taehyung. It was just for formality anyway.

The court had just granted me custody over Aeri, finally. And I couldn't help but feel so secured by now.

At the moment, Taehyung was carrying Aeri, letting her face forward so she could see her surroundings—both of them a few feet away from me. I guess Aeri was still in the mood since she still entertained some of the people that approached her by responding through her hand movements.

"Kyungmin-ssi?"

I whirled around to see two figures with anticipating expressions. There stood Mr. and Mrs. Song—Mina-unnie's parents; Aeri's grandparents.

With respect, I bowed my head and smiled. "Thank you for keeping up with my requests ever since."

Mrs. Song shook her head. "We should be the one thanking you. You're taking the lengths just for Aeri. And I'm sure Mina is happy wherever she is right now."

I smiled with a hum. "I'm just doing what my heart is telling me, and taking Aeri is one of the best decisions I've made in my life."

The two of them nodded, pleased.

"We're sorry if what we're going to ask is too much."

I raised my brows slightly, wondering what Mr. Song meant. "Uh, what is?"

"We wanted to ask if we can see Aeri once in a while. I know it might sound selfish considering we were going to put her up for adoption," Mr. Song explained.

"We just thought we're old, and someone else would be able to take care of Aeri better. We'll always be thankful of you, and I know our daughter would be too," added Mrs. Song.

Despite Mr. and Mrs. Song being really disappointed at Mina-unnie's pregnancy at first, at some point, I always knew their hearts had softened. And had they not cared for Aeri, they wouldn't had bothered granting my requests. They supported Aeri and they had always been nice to me, and I was sure that they had been thinking of Aeri the whole time as well.

"Sure, that wouldn't be a problem," I gladly agreed. "But if you may allow it, I would like to be the one to tell Aeri about her real mom when the right time comes, so I hope you don't mind if I don't tell her you're her birth grandparents for a period of time. I just don't want to confuse her." Also, I just wanted to be clear with that.

"Oh we don't mind." Mrs. Song waved her hand. "In fact, just letting us see Aeri would be fine."

I nodded sternly, flashing a thankful smile. Just when I was about to speak up again, someone's presence beside me caught my attention.

"Kyungmin—oh, annyeonghaseyo, I'm Kyungmin's husband, Kim Taehyung." Taehyung greeted them with a polite gesture.

The two elders looked at him and when they saw Aeri, their smiles widened.

"We're Mina's parents," introduced Mrs. Song. "Thank you for taking care of Aeri. I know you two would be great parents."

"Oh. Thank you." Based on Taehyung's voice, I assumed he wasn't expecting that from them.