chapter 12

"We hope to see little Aeri again. Take care on your way home!"

I adjusted Aeri on my arms, letting her face Dara who was currently waving at her.

"Bye bye, Dara-unnie," I waved Aeri's hand as if she were the one talking. "See you soon."

Aeri turned her back to Dara and pushed her face to my chest, clutching on the sides of my shirt. I bent down a little before straightening up swiftly to adjust my grip on her. Aeri dipped her head on my shoulders and I held her back, caressing it gently.

"She must be sleepy," I told Dara with a small smile and she returned it. "Thank you for showing us around."

"It's my utmost pleasure to do so," remarked Dara.

After bidding Dara good bye, Somi-ajumma and I left the baby club's office and decided to go home, considering that Aeri didn't seem to be in a mood to be out today.

Since I had less to mind, now that the custody matter was over and settled with, I randomly thought of checking for baby clubs that Aeri and I could join. Aside from Somi and Aeri's doctor's advises, and a little bit of online information, I thought interacting with other moms and letting Aeri be exposed with other children would help us both.

Also, since Aeri was more cheerful and friendly than most babies around her age, I thought it was a great idea for her to meet new faces. The baby club we had just visited seemed to be a good place, and I had met a few moms earlier. But that would have to wait since Aeri was still a little too young for that, and she mostly sleeps throughout the day.

~*~

Voices could be immediately heard upon opening Taehyung's apartment. It was of a middle-aged man's and I almost thought someone had broken in until I saw Taehyung's broad back and his familiar chocolate brown hair in view.

However, I couldn't tell who the other man was because his back wasn't something I was familiar of. But the two of them were looking through papers on the center table. Must be someone from work.

"Hey, you two are back," Taehyung broke in, snapping me out of my thoughts. The guy beside him on the sofa looked at me over his shoulders, and his eyes flashed familiarity.

"Oh, Mr. Kim." I bowed my head instinctively.

Taehyung stood up from his seat and approached me, immediately hovering in front of me, blocking out his father from my view purposely.

He patted Aeri on the back, and I took the opportunity to talk.

"You didn't tell me your father's coming," I whispered, audible enough only for him to hear.

He kissed me on my forehead and leaned a little closer. "I didn't know either."

I saw Mr. Kim nearing us, and as he did, his attention was on Aeri. He had a skeptical and curious look plastered all over. Of course he knew Taehyung wasn't Aeri's father since Taehyung had only came back not too long ago, and a baby wouldn't just pop out within three months.

"Somi-ajumma could you take Aeri to the room?" I requested, and Somi quickly understood the situation. When our gazes met, she gave me a reassuring look to which I was thankful of.

"I didn't know you two got in contact again." His words didn't hint of anything, but judging his expression, he wasn't in favor.

I couldn't really tell.

"We got reunited when you assigned me to the branch company," Taehyung said with a carefree smile.

"I see." He nodded his head, pondering about something until his gaze landed on the picture on the wall. He obviously had seen it earlier, considering the extremely spacious area the frame occupied.

Thank goodness for Taehyung's idea. At least his apartment didn't look empty and it had something to tell immediately that we were a family.

Even though Taehyung and I knew each other since we were kids, I hadn't really interacted much with his father, since I didn't see him often whenever I visited Taehyung's house. Sometimes he'd be there, but the most conversation we had would be small greetings, and sometimes, invitations to eat. Most of the welcoming part was done by Mrs. Kim.

Well, right now, I had a strangely bad feeling.

"Shall we head out for lunch then?"

~*~

Awkward, forced and a little stiff. That was how I felt the whole afternoon. Though Taehyung kept squeezing my hand and shooting me his assuring smiles to somehow lighten it up.

I had been right that Mr. Kim assumed Aeri was my daughter from another man, and perhaps the look on his face earlier had something to do with him disapproving that Taehyung would raise the child and support Aeri.

Obviously, his father was more of a business person, and I got it that he might have thought I was taking advantage of their social status.

At least that had been clarified, yet it still led to another question: of why Taehyung and I needed to adopt a baby when we can in fact make one.

Taehyung's father was more blunt than I had thought. So when he casually said, "You can just make a baby together." I almost choked on the quail egg that actually ended up getting stuck on my throat for a moment, making me have hiccups.

Taehyung's reply didn't help me regain my composure either.

"We're always considering it, just not now."

Of course it was the right thing to say; he hadn't done anything wrong. But my mind had enough of playing images and scenarios that I rather not see.

After what seemed like an interrogation rather than a casual lunch, Taehyung's father seemed to let it go. He simply told us that he'd be flying back to New York this afternoon, and I couldn't help but be confused. A day hadn't passed since he arrived, and yet he was leaving already. He didn't even ride with us back home anymore and said he had to attend to something.

"Taehyung, I don't think your father likes me as your wife," I shared my thoughts immediately as we got to Taehyung's car.

"I don't think that's it," he said as he unlocked the doors, making me more confused. "Don't worry about him."

"Well, it's not like we're really married. But that's just weird," I muttered, climbing inside.

"Mhmm?" Taehyung's eyes wandered to the side; he became serious for a moment.

"Oh, but why did he visit? He's leaving already. It hadn't even been a day."

Taehyung shoved his hands to his pockets. "He just came to discuss something important, but other matters came up. And he arrived with an old acquaintance of mine. You might meet each other tomorrow."

I curved my lips upward, staring at nowhere as my mind wandered. It could just be my silly head, overthinking.

Taehyung patted me on the shoulder, giving it a squeeze. Then his hand went up to my hair and he ruffled it.

"Don't worry about it too much."

And when he said that, maybe I should've reconsidered believing it or not.