bonus chapter 1

"Oppa."

Four year old Aeri stared at the bemused young man in front of her as she swayed his hand. Jungkook looked down at her, quite baffled at the sight of the child.

"Kookie-oppa!" called Aeri. "Where's Mommy and Daddy?"

Aeri's brows furrowed as a grumpy frown formed on her lips. Still perplexed, Jungkook continued to eye the little girl in her gray Gucci hoodie, black leggings and doll shoes.

How did he end up being with her anyway?

Last thing he remembered was his peaceful time shopping for groceries, when suddenly, this piece of fluff jolted into his vision.

"Aeri-yah," he started, not really sure of what to say.

"Yaaaay! Kookie-oppa talked!" Before Jungkook could ask anything, the little girl beat her to it. Aeri cheered, jumping up and down with her tiny built whilst holding the young man's hand, sporting a toothy smile on her face.

"Are we going to look for Mommy and Daddy now?"

Meanwhile, a frustrated Kyungmin and a chill Taehyung were going through the aisles, looking for their daughter.

"I just don't get it." Kyungmin huffed, running a hand through her hair. "How could you lose Aeri in a grocery store?"

"I didn't lose her. We're playing hide and seek," defended Taehyung.

Kyungmin rolled her eyes heavenwards. "I can't believe the two of you."

Taehyung chuckled to himself at how frantic Kyungmin was and sneakily took pictures of her. After so, he placed the device back to his pocket and stuffed his hands inside as well.

Since the store wasn't that big, it didn't take that long until the couple and their daughter, together with her oppa, met halfway.

"Mommy, Daddy! I found you!" Aeri dragged her oppa as she ran to her parents. "Mommy, Mommy! Let's play hide and seek again."

"See, I told you she'll be fine," Taehyung said. "Yo, Jungkook!"

"Hyung." Jungkook tilted his chin up.

Kyungmin's heart dropped at the sight of Aeri, relief washing over her. Before she crouched down to Aeri, she sent a hard sideways glare at her husband. "No, baby. You stay with us. I don't want you to get lost. Okay?"

Aeri pouted, dismayed, but nevertheless said, "Okay, Mommy."

Kyungmin stood up, exhaling deeply. "I'm glad she ran into you," she told Jungkook.

"Mommy, mommy!" called Aeri, still holding Jungkook's hand. "Kookie-oppa caught on fire."

"Uh...what?" Kyungmin's curious eyes shifted from Aeri to Jungkook, then back at Aeri.

"I heard Kookie-oppa say he was on fire when he was talking on the phone."

Kyungmin opened her mouth, about to question Jungkook when Aeri let go of Jungkook's hand and ran away.

"Aeri— !"

"Daddy, Kookie-oppa caught on fire!" mused the little girl as she crashed into her father.

"He what?" Taehyung had a hard look all over at her daughter's words.

Jungkook scratched the back of his neck, finding the situation rather awkward...and funny. Or at least he would find the humor in it if he hadn't actually lost his job.

"Hyung, noona, I got fired," he finally said.

"See! I told you he was on fire." Aeri giggled.

At this, the three of them dived into a fit of laughter, Taehyung finding it amusing the most. He scooped Aeri on his arm and lifted her up.

"Kookie-oppa, you could go to our house. It's safe there!" Aeri marveled with wide eyes, convincing her oppa.

"We didn't mean to laugh at you for getting fired," explained Kyungmin, waving her hand for emphasis.

"Don't worry, noona, I got it." Jungkook smiled, no awkwardness in it. The young man was comfortable with them, after all.

"But why were you fired?"

Aeri and Taehyung were already busy with the little girl pointing at different snacks she wanted to buy when her father had asked her. The funny thing was that Aeri scolded Taehyung for getting two packets of chocolate bar when she said she only wanted one, and reasoned that one was enough.

He sighed. This little kid got it from her mother, why am I not surprised? he thought.

Back to the two, Jungkook was already halfway to his story of the reason he got fired. Basically, he always ran late because of the distance of his old workplace from the apartment. But that was before, he got another job now which was nearer.

Other than that, Kyungmin praised Jungkook for the change of his cart-items. Now there were fresh raw meat and vegetables, and Jungkook had informed her that he could cook now—also thanking Kyungmin in the process.

Jungkook had to excuse himself first and Kyungmin walked with him to where the two kids were.

"Aeri, say bye to oppa."

"Kookie-oppa isn't going with us?" Aeri tilted her head sideways.

"No. Kookie-oppa has something to do," Kyungmin responded to her daughter. "We'll invite him to our house again next time if you want."

Aeri's grimace had been replaced with an excited expression, and she agreed with her mother's suggestion. After a while,  Jungkook bid good bye to Aeri and the couple.

"Okay, let's buy whatever needs to be bought so we could go now," said Kyungmin.

"Mommy, let's adopt a bunny!"

Aeri's sudden request took her mom by surprise, and Kyungmin narrowed her eyes at her daughter's randomness. Then, she spared a glance at Taehyung.

These two sure are the perfect partners in crime.

"Sweetie, we can't adopt a bunny," she replied with a small frown, not really wanting to bust Aeri's toothy smile.

As if on cue, little Aeri and Taehyung slapped their foreheads and chorused, "Aw maaaan!"

Kyungmin shook her head at their silly act and chuckled, giving it a second thought.

"But if you and Daddy can promise me that you'll treat it better than the goldfish we had before, I might reconsider."

Aeri sported the widest smile and whispered to her father something before she chuckled.

"Mommy! Let's also get a puppy!"

— ✿ —

❝the 'caught on fire' idea was inspired by a scene in Jordan Lynde's book Believe Me, I'm Lying which is one of my faves, so if you have time, go check it out! :)

I hope you liked this chapter! ♡❞