Chapter One

Three hours of an endless white line and copious amounts of cars came to a halt. With a snifle, I swiped the remaining tears from my eyes and glanced out of the window. I was greeted by a large two-storey brick house, a special place I call home. A small smile appeared on my face as I reminisced in the past. I was happy to be back here and away from a life I had just walked away from.

I was brought back from memory lane when a deep, husk voice interrupted, "I said, that will be $200 as agreed, young lady," the cab driver groaned. "And if you don't mind, I really have to get going now, so I would appreciate if you get the hell out my cab."

I wasn't affected by the cab driver's arrogance as I grew accustomed to men like him. I shook my head to clear my mind and passed over the remaining money I had for the fare.

Here goes nothing, I thought to myself as I stepped out of the cab and onto the wet, soggy grass. Suitcase in hand, I approached the house and was greeted by the sound of familiar chatting and giggling.

I've been gone for almost 2 years, to say I was excited and nervous to see my three siblings would be an understatement. I hadn't kept in contact with either one of them, nor my parents, since I packed and left.

Tears began to blur my vision as I thought about the amount of stress and hurt I had put them through. My siblings were all old enough to worry and understand my disappearance. Josh being a year older than myself at 24 years old, Melody 16 and Hunter now 10 years old.

I had taken the last two strides before I reached the front door. My heart was pounding as I started to question myself. Would they be happy to see me? Will they question my reappearance?

My parents weren't the slightest bit happy about my decision to move towns with my boyfriend, whom was 5 years older than myself. The typical, immature teenager I was decided that I didn't need them to make decisions for me, so I packed my stuff and followed who I thought, was the "love of my life". Boy was I wrong.

I straightened my posture, cleared my throat and run my hands down my face as I leant in to press the door bell. Ding dong.

What felt like a lifetime, were mere seconds before I heard foot steps approaching. I held my breath as the door creaked open and my father appeared before me.

"Umm hi - hello," I squeaked out, unable to think of a coherant sentence.

I looked into his eyes, trying to read his mood. I was shocked when my father retreated from the front door and turned back without a single word.

I stood awkwardly at the door unsure of what to do when I heard loud foot steps nearing the door. I looked up and saw my three siblings racing towards me as they engulfed me in a big hug.

"Where have you been Kylie?" Hunter squealed out.

Before I got the chance to answer, I was bombarded with questions from my other siblings. I looked at the three of them and relised how much they have grown and how much time was lost. I was happy, ecstatic, that they were pleased to see me though couldn't help but shed a few tears.

"Kids," a female voice interrupted.

We all looked towards the staircase where my mother stood.

"Say your goodnights and go to your rooms," she spoke sternly. All three huffed and gave one last hug before retreating.

I followed mother into the loungeroom where my father was awaiting, arms crossed, slouched in the large arm chair, neither of them looking too impressed.

"Kylie, we haven't received a single call since you left two years ago and you decide to rock up on our door step just like that," she spoke disapprovingly.

I was lost for words, I didn't expect rainbows and smiles though I least expected disappointment. I looked towards my father to see he had the same dissaproving expression.

My mother looked me up and down, as though analyzing me, before she started throwing multiple questions my way. "Let me guess -- your no-good partner managed to convince you to do drugs as well? You seem to have lost a lot of weight. Are you smoking? Your father said your eyes were bright red when he greeted you".

My jaw hit the floor as I looked between my parents in shock. They were never accusing, clueless people. They were the complete opposite; loving, caring and supportive. Excluding my decision to run away ofcourse. Maybe alot of things have changed in the past two years, and its quite possible they think I have changed dramatically too.

If only you both knew the truth.

I stayed silent, unable to think of a reply. The people I needed the most are unable to see me for the girl I used to be.

My dad broke the silence, "go to your old room, we don't want to see you in this state nor do we want the kids to either, if you have anything you shouldn't have on you, I suggest you throw it away now. We will talk tomorrow morning."

I walked away without a word as I tried to keep the tears at bay. If their was one thing I learnt from being away, was to show no weakness to anyone.

I closed my bedroom door, dropped my belongings and collapsed on the bed.

How could they accuse me of doing drugs? I know I have lost weight, though its far from drug use. It was a blessing to receive a cooked meal everyday. Hopefully it won't be long before I get a job and able to support myself away from here. I thought as the tears began soaking the pillow beneathe.