Chapter Seventeen

Beep, beep -- beep, beep.

Stretching out to turn the alarm off. "2 hours until work. Day 1 for the week" I huffed to myself, feeling as though I barely had a nights worth of sleep.

My night and day dreams worked overdrive consisting of a particular green eyed man.

A whole new leaf had turned. Marcus is extremely caring, humorous and just like any other normal person. Except he isn't the average, normal person. He is far more than that, setting the bar well above most men. I can understand why alot of women want him.

He wasnt the womanizing, arrogant man that everyone assumed he was. If people gave him the chance and seen past the front, they would be surprised to find an easy going man.

I learnt alot about him and he alot about myself. We rambled for many hours, managing to down a few cups of coffee and a whole tray of macadamia slice.

I sit back on my bed, unable to free him of my mind. Hiding from my parents and siblings who seem to think I was on a date and hadn't stopped pestering and teasing since I walked through the door late Saturday afternoon.

What are you doing to me Marcus?

I couldn't seem to rid the heat from my cheeks. I had the best time with him, I didn't worry about making a fool out of myself. I was myself and our conversations came so naturally. Which was the complete opposite to the previous man I let into my life.

I couldnt have feelings for him. I couldn't have feelings for a man so soon after my previous mess of a relationship. My heart was betraying me.

I'll go to work and treat him like a boss, and only a boss. Which is what he is and nothing more. I'm only setting myself up for hurt. Sure he is kind and caring towards me, he is probably like that with most women in his life. He wouldn't bat an eye my way. I'm plain -- he could have anyone he wished.

I huffed into my pillow, annoyed that my mind was playing games. I hadn't heard from Marcus since we departed Saturday but having him run through my mind since, was well and truly enough.

I jumped off the bed, deciding I should probably get up and ready for todays duties.

I put in a bit more effort into my appearance today, convincing myself that it wasn't to impress anyone but just because I managed to have a little extra time this morning.

I made my way to work and up the elevator, happy to see Marie sitting by her desk. "Hello Marie" I squeaked out, handing her a coffee I had managed to pick up on the way to work.

"Hello Ky". Her eyes glinting mischievously. "What has got into you and Marcus this morning? I had him jumping through the doors with a smile on his face this morning.  Which -- let me tell you, isn't very common on a Monday morning".

I giggled, curious as to why he could be in such a good mood.

"I'll just drop this coffee into Marcus and I'll be straight back Marie".

Though before I could take more than a step away, Marie pulled me back. "Sorry Ky, he is out for the day or two now. He had to pick a few things up from the office but rushed back out. He did mention to send his apologies and he will see you soon". She winked.

My face fell, disappointed that I wouldnt see Marcus for another couple of days now. "Thats fine Marie, thankyou for letting me know".

I walked to my desk and physically went to bring my palm to my head. Did I not listen to myself this morning when I prepared myself to treat Marcus as boss and only boss.

No feelings Ky! No dissapointment.

Well Monday turned out to be as boring as I expected the first day of the week to be. I banged my head on the desk, wishing I was coodled up in my bed.

I heard a fake cough and managed to lift my head to meet Marie's worrying eyes. "Is everything ok dear?"

I straightened my spine and reassured her that everything was fine. Just a little tired.

Marie prepared me with the days work which seemed to help in making my day pass by quicker.

I glanced towards the clock, every so often, eager to finish for the day. Things weren't as enjoyable when Marcus wasn't here.

I don't understand how they managed to handle all of this between the two of them. We were always extremely run off our feet, even with the three of us.

I was happy to see that the clock was nearing 5pm and my daily duties were coming to an end. Marie approached once again and took a seat in my office. "How are you coping with the work load?" She questioned.

"Not too bad Marie, I was actually just wondering how you both coped on your own, all this time" I answered trufully.

"I can tell you now, Marcus spent alot of time in that very office trying to keep up. It was very unhealthy for him. I'm so glad we found you Ky -- if things get too much, please let me know. I know Marcus enjoys having you around and I also know that we both would not like to lose you".

I smiled and gave her a hug. "Thankyou Marie, that means alot. You can count on me to let you know if I have any troubles".