Chapter Fourteen

I slumped onto the couch, exhausted from my day and week. Marcus's guilt was still aparent from yesterday's drama, he most definitely worked my little legs off.. though exceptionally kind.

Marie and I were kept on our feet all day, answering calls, filing and running errands for Marcus. He must have noticed and managed to bring in take out for our lunch break. We all nestled into his office, ate our lunch and chat.

I was surprised by how well Marie and Marcus got along. It was like mother and son. I even managed to see his beautiful smile, two dimples carved into his chisled face. It almost took my breath away. How could the gods be so greedy and bless him with such looks?

A smile reached my cheeks as I reminisced about how sweet and caring he was, chasing and comforting me the day prior and showing how apologetic he was today.

I was brought away from my thoughts when the door bell rang. I opened the door and sure enough by 6pm, Sarah was standing by my door. Waiting expectantly before dragging me out to her car.

"Celebrations Ky! What's got you lounging around?" She squeaked in delight.

To be honest, I wasn't feeling 100% interested in a fun night. I had just finished a long week of work and all I wanted to do was sleep the night away.

"I'm fine Sar, I'm just not used to working a full week. Ill try not kill the happy vibe you got going on" I smiled.

We made our way to the video store and hired four movies; two scary and two chick flicks. Sarah had also grabbed a bag of popcorn and countless bags of lollies.

She had made yet another stop. Soo much for a quite night, I thought.

Here we are at the bottelo, as she had said "refreshments are a must for a girly night". I was relieved when Sar had settled for a 6 pack of Vodka Cruisers to share.

We parked up in the garage of Sar's apartment, loaded our arms up with countless bags of junk and made our way through the complex doors.

The elevator was silent as we made our way through the floors.

"I've missed this Sar" she whispered. And the dreaded question, I hoped she wouldn't ask. "Why did you disappear Ky?"

Be strong, don't show weakness. Tears began to build as I thought of another lie to feed my loved ones. Watching my best friend break down in tears broke my heart. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to let someone in for once, even if it was only a part of the truth.

"Sar, I can't explain everything to detail, just know it was out of my hands. I didn't once forget you or my family. " I spoke sincerely. "If i could do it all again, I wouldn't have moved".

I wrapped my arms around her and placed comforting pats on her back. "Im sorry Sar".

We had managed to make it through the apartment door and into the loungeroom. Sarah had apologised for being an emotional mess during our celebration night and I was thankful that she had forgiven me.

Movie one, an all time classic horror movie, Wrong Turn. I had watched this movie a number of times and I can tell you, it doesn't get easier on the eyes.

I clutched onto a cushion, a Vodka Cruiser in hand and a bag of chico babies on my lap. I don't think anything could ease my nerves, I hated this movie.

I was brought away from the movie when my phone started to ring. I could have sworn Sarah jumped a few feet in the air from the sudden shreik of noise coming from my phone. Who could possibly be calling?

I glanced down at my phone and came to face an unfamiliar phone number. I decided it may be important and answered it with caution. My heart was pounding, I had hoped it wouldnt be Jacob, anyone but Jacob.

A familiar husk voice greeted from the other line. "Miss Kylie". My heart skipped a beat as heat crept up onto my cheeks. 

Wait -- why am I acting like a school girl? this is purely business, nothing more.

I cupped the phone and walked into another room. "Mr McNelly", I whispered back. Disappointed my voice had let me down.

"I've just called to see how you are going? And I -- uh, would love to catch up tomorrow lunch -- to discuss work -- we didn't get a chance to talk about the days I was away".

"Yes Marcus, it would be my pleasure catching up. I can fill you in on what transpired this week. Sorry I didn't get a chance today, things are pretty hectic on a Friday" I cut in giggling, to save him from rambling.

Was he nervous? What could possibly make him nervous? The most intimidating person and billionaire in the nation. It wasn't like Marcus to spit out an incoherent sentence.

Marcus had let out a big breath of air, escaping through the phone speaker. "This is my number, call me if you change your mind, otherwise I'll message you with the details" he added before ending the line.

I clutched my phone to my chest. Why are you doing this to me Marcus? How could a man that I have just met, send butterflies on rampage in my stomach.

With a sigh, I turned around and came face to face with a grinning Sarah.

"Who was that?" She questioned playfully.

"Just work". I answered trufully.

"Didn't sound like -- just work" she paused winking.

"I think my girl has fallen for Mr Player and from what I just witnessed, he may have a soft spot right here for her too" she said gesturing to her heart.

"How did you come up with all that after such short conversation" i questioned, confused.

"Welll -- my best friend.. I have worked for Mr hotshot for almost 2 years now. I know him like the back of my hand -- he doesn't go out of his way to be nice to his assistants. Nor does he give them the time or day to talk sweet nothings at an ungodly hour." She paused, "Miss Kylie, I was just seeing how you were and if we could catch up over the weekend", she mimicked.

"It's nothing like that" I tried defending. "He has been away for almost a whole week, I'm sure he would like to know how his company held up".

"You have always been soo blind Ky".

I blushed perfusely, breaking eye contact. 

She paused, staring down at me, as though looking for something. "You still haven't lost your virginity -- have you?" She asked extremely shocked. "I can tell by the way you are blushing right now".

She had always been good at reading me. "No.. no I haven't Sar, I haven't found the one, which is completely off topic".

I started to make my way back into the loungeroom and away from my pestering friend. The movie was still playing through, so I plopped myself down on the couch and tried to engross myself into the movie and away from the topic.

Eyes were burning through my side, I glanced over to spot a grinning Sarah.

"And Marcus may be the one" she grinned.

"You're a real pain in the butt. You know that, right?" I directed. "Sure I find him attractive, but don't all women? And to answer your question, he most definitely isn't the 'one'.."

"You aren't like most women Ky, you dated a guy for 2 years and your virginity is still intact. You barely acknowledge all the eyes that zone in on you like prey. You don't blush when any man converses with you. And from what I had seen back their, Marcus is the only man that has that hold on you".

I cut the conversation with a flick of my wrist.

Could she be right? Was I falling for Mr arrogant?