Chapter Thirteen

I walked back into the office, in defeat. Disappointed I had let Mr McNelly down in his meeting.

If i wasn't there, John wouldn't have made that proposition.

I'll give him time alone before I make my way over and apologise.

I slumped in my chair, glancing up to find Marie questioning my mood.

"Is everything ok Ky?" She asked, closing the gap between us.

"Yes -- thankyou Marie. The meeting didn't go to well though". I huffed out.

"What happened? Marcus had just barged into the office moments ago".

I straightened in my chair ready to vent. "We didn't win the block over. Mr King is a creep and agreed he would take the offer if I was to go on a date with him".

"And? What happened?" She questioned shocked.

"I'm not sure why but Marcus declined his offer and stormed out".

Marie slouched back in relief. "Thank goodness for that -- Mr King has quite the reputation. He isn't a nice person at all".

"I feel really bad. Mr King gave me his card incase we change our mind. I feel like this is the least I could do for Marcus. I know how important the deal was".

"Don't be silly Ky, Marcus does everything for a reason. Don't worry your pretty mind. Everything will be fine". She spoke before making her way behind her desk.

Marie packed her belongings and left for the day.

I kept myself busy, finishing off my daily duties.

I glanced at the clock and relised I had 15 minutes left before my shift ends. I decided to clean my desk and make my way towards Marcus's office.

He hadn't stepped a foot out, since the meeting after lunch.

I will apologise and see if he needs anything done before I head home.

I placed a soft knock on his door, waiting for his reply.

"Come in" he grunted from behind the door.

I opened the door and was surprised to find Marcus laying on the sofa, a scotch in hand.

"I just come to see if you needed me to do anything before I leave?" I questioned,  surprised Marcus wouldn't look at me.

"No, you are fine to leave"

"I also come here to apologise -- I'm sorry I lost that deal for you". I whispered, afraid of his answer.

Their was a pause before he gave a short answer. "It's fine".

"No, it's not fine Marcus. I will go on a date with him if that means you can seal the deal".

"Just go" he spoke bluntly.

Their's the arrogant man I once came to know..

I tried not to let him get to me, though with the guilt on top, I gave up. Tears brimmed my eyes as I walked out of the room.

I quickly made my way to the elevator before Marcus could see how much he had affected me.

Be strong Ky. Don't show weakness.

As the doors began to close, I heard my name be called. "KY".

I caught a glimpse of Marcus running towards the elevator before the doors closed.

Once the elevator had reached bottom floor, I rushed to the entrance eager to dissapear.

Multiple employees looked over in confusion as tears slipped out uncontrollably.

The cold air hit my face as I made it through the front doors. I paused for a moment before a large hand wrapped around my forearm.

I looked around in horror and was surprisingly relieved that it wasn't my ex Jacob, though infact the man I had been running away from.

He searched my face, sorrow growing im his eyes.

"I'm sorry Ky" he spoke, still clutching onto my forearm. "I'm sorry I was blunt back there. I was dissappointed -- dissappointed that I didnt land that deal but that had nothing to do with you and I don't hold you accountable".

I kept my head down, afraid that he was knocking down my walls and seeing me for who I am.

Weak.

I nodded my head, afraid that my voice would give out if I tried to speak.

"The deal was important to me, though not as important as you -- as my employee, that is". He quickly corrected.

I built up the courage and managed to whisper, "Why didn't you sell me out?".

"I wouldn't do that to you" he whispered back, lifting my chin and looking into my eyes.

My heart melted looking into his eyes. There was a soft side I didn't expect to see and my heart approved.

"He wasn't interested in the offer, even in the slightest before he even laid eyes on you. It's not important anymore, If he wants to sell then my offer was more than generous. I'll be surprised if anyone matches it".