Chapter 8. Absent

Chapter 8. Absent

Moving trucks came. They didn't stop in batches of two; a whole group of them rolled by. I watched from the street as they unloaded furniture's, paintings, a grand piano, and so much more. There were dozens of boxes too. I didn't think I'd see so many.

News exploded after that. News I haven't heard in my isolation.

After one year in office, Lyndon Morgan has decided to turn his house in Bear Creek as the Governor's Mansion. It would be his official residence, his office, his comfort. The Morgan's were back.

Dad was working on a grandfather clock when I barged inside the store. His two other employees were varnishing a table. I didn't care if they hear. I've been keeping my silence for years anyway.

"Did you know about it?" I asked. My face was pale as wax on the mirror on the wall. My voice sounded faint from all the running. Nonetheless, my heart was alive. Anguished but beating fast.

"Huh?" dad said. He put his tools down to look at me. "What are you talking about?"

"Mr. Morgan. . ." I pointed to the direction of their mansion. "Are the rumors true? Are they coming back?"

Worry flashed on his face. "Destiny."

"Are they?"

"Yes."

I lowered my shaking finger. "You knew about it, didn't you? You knew, and you didn't tell me. How could you?!"

Dad glanced helplessly at the other men. "Can you please give us a—"

"No!" I cut off. "I don't want a moment with you, dad. I don't want a moment with any of you." I turned to my heels and shoved the door open. It banged close behind me.

I texted Spencer on my way to the house. 'Did you know?'

It took him ten minutes to respond, all of which I used to go to my room, pull a chair next to the window, and observe with my telescope.

'Yes,' he replied. 'I forgot to tell you.'

I squeezed the phone while typing. 'What's wrong with you?!'

I erased it and typed another message. 'I'm not talking to you anymore.'

I erased that too and sent a blank text. He didn't deserve a word from me. He should burn in hell.

What I couldn't understand was why no one told me. Dad, Spencer, even Ester. They knew how much I've waited for this day. They knew how much it meant to me. So, why didn't they?

Wasn't I the most deserving to know in Bear Creek? Wasn't three years long enough to wait? Why? Why? Why?

Saturday passed, then Sunday. I saw everything from the bedroom window. After the furniture's were delivered to the mansion, other staff arrived. Most of them were in uniform so the cleaners and the guards were easily distinguishable. The security stationed around the house were in khaki pants and black shirts, but the best ones, the ones that came with Mr. Morgan, were all dressed in suits.

The Governor himself has grown a full beard. It was trimmed on the sides and pointy on the bottom. His blonde hair was brushed back to reveal his stern eyes and pursed lips. He looked more intimidating than the last time I've seen him.

As for his wife, Mrs. Morgan didn't look a day older. Clear skin, brief smile, a dress that flattered her slim figure. A female guard accompanied her to the mansion.

I spied for hours, waiting. I stayed by the window hoping to catch a glimpse. But despite the skipped meals, the rushed showers, the missed sleep and the grogginess, not once did I see her shadow.