Chapter 37. New

Chapter37. New

Reporters were looking at me like hungry hounds. Every single one of them who'd pulled me inside the room.

The nearest one shoved her recorder under my nose, pressed the start button, and began spitting a rap verse that would put Eminem to shame. Or maybe she was asking me questions. It was too fast.

"We all know we came here for Mr. Danes' debate. But one can't help but question, Ms. Jones. Why are you on his team and not Mr. Morgan's?"

Another reporter elbowed the woman aside and spoke. "You've become a sort of enigma these past few years, Miss Jones. Rising superstar from the biggest firm in the city. Young and successful. But more than, that you have a history with Lyndon's daughter, Gene—"

"Stop!" I lowered their recorders. They were giving me claustrophobia. "Did you schedule an interview for me?" I asked. "I don't recall receiving a note from our assistant, and she's a mighty fine one." When Linda wasn't in the mood to grill me herself that is.

All five of the reporters shoved their cassette thing on me again. Or was it digital now? They were making me dizzy.

"Why do you evade these kinds of questions, Destiny? If you've answered them long ago, we won't be on your tail now."

My eyebrow twitched. "Who are you again?"

The man stood straighter. "Douglas," he answered. "From KEY-TV."

He was getting on my nerves. "Well, Douglas from KEY-TV. I'll sue you for harassment if you don't step back. And I can assure you, Mr. Danes' himself will defend me. He hasn't lost a case." I smiled at the rest of them. "Thank you for taking an interest in my private life, but that's how it should stay. Private."

I reached for the knob behind me and flung the door open before they could respond. I was out of the corridor, then to the lobby in a matter of minutes.

Linda and Mr. Danes' turned to me. "What took you so long?" Linda waved a paper. "The debate will begin in twenty. We have to get to our room and brief with the team."

I straightened my blazer and wiped my forehead. Damn those reporters. They've been following me since last week.

"Sorry about that," I said. "Too many women in the bathroom. You know how it is."

"That's my Destiny." Mr. Danes' winked when I looked at him. "Always meeting girls everywhere."

"You know that's not true, sir." I motioned to the hall. "Anyway, let's go to our room. We have a debate to settle."

Almost everyone in Bear Creek was present for the debate, if not for the whole State. At the back of the room I could spot several camera's positioned and ready to record. Reporters were on the side, while the rest of the audience were seated on the chairs, waiting for the show to begin.

I tapped Linda's shoulder and gestured behind me. "I need to pee," I murmured.

"Again?" Her mascara-perfect lashes batted before her eyes narrowed. "Ugh, you look pale. Can't have you barfing all over Mr. Danes'. Go and do your thing."

"Thanks." I turned around and left the room. My stomach was getting queasy. "Take a deep breath, Destiny." I sucked in air through my mouth. Why was I feeling this way? On the day of the debate too. They must have put something in the egg this morning.

"Destiny?"

My heart pounded when I glanced behind. But it was only Linda again, shooing me away. "Take a walk, girl. Seriously."