Chapter 25. You

Chapter25. You

I've always thought parties were cliché. People dress up, try to look good, only to be the same boring person the next day. I didn't get it.

Staring at the painting above the stage though, I began to acknowledge that maybe there were more to parties. Maybe it wasn't about having the nicest dress or winning an award for that night. Maybe you just wanted an image to go with the memories. Like the teacher was saying on the microphone in front.

"Our theme for tonight is friendship."

I tore my eyes from the painting long enough to see that the students who had gathered in the gym were listening to the teacher. All of them had taken the time with their hair and clothes. Most, if not all, were in groups. It's only been months and the freshmen have already found friends.

"You'll spend the next four years of your life in Bear Creek High," the teacher drawled on. "You can't always do it alone. You need people by your side, people who have the same passion to push you to your goals. That's what the painting behind me symbolizes. It was made by one of the students who, like you, had experienced different things in this school. She continues to survive through the help of friendship."

"She makes it sound like a battlefield in here, huh?" Ester went to my side and folded her arms. She'd tied her long dark hair for tonight to complement the slicked back style of his twin.

"I can't believe you really came in heels." I elbowed her. "Are you making yourself pretty for that fictional character you were talking about?"

"Nope. He loves me even if I'm in drag. That's the cool part about him." A mischievous smile was on her lips when she turned to me. "Aren't you surprised to see your face up there though? It's a miracle she got the teachers to agree to have it displayed. Then again this is Genesis we're talking about."

The butterflies I've been trying to control broke free from their cage and flew all over my stomach. "It's embarrassing," I murmured.

"Genesis doesn't care about that," Ester said. "You remember in fifth grade when she raised her hand in the classroom to say something?"

The memory was dark, blurry, yet when it came to Gene I didn't have trouble pulling the files out of the cabinet. It was just surprising that I didn't recall it sooner.

"She said. . ." I grinned at Ester. "She said, I think Destiny is really pretty."

Ester snorted and nodded. "Yeah, and when the teacher asked what that had to do with the lesson, Genesis shrugged and took a seat. I had to stir the topic back to science so no one would get called to the principal's office. You kids have been giving me trouble since grade school."

"I'm sorry about that."

"No problem." She kicked a stray balloon that had drifted from the ceiling, her eyes now fixated on the decoration in the gym. There were shades of blue, purple, and white, accentuated with rotating lights from the corner. I recognized some of the designs as the ones the Welcoming Committee has made at the beginning of the school year. Our project, short as it was, had not gone to waste.

"Sometimes I wonder what Genesis is thinking," Ester murmured. "Her actions are not logical."

"Says a person who reads instruction manuals for fun."

"That's only because I want to understand how things work. But you and Genesis? I don't know exactly how you work."

I sighed and tried to shove my hands in my pocket. Remembering that I didn't have one, I tucked them under my arms. "To be honest, I don't know what's going on with us too. Genesis is as big a mystery to me as she is to anyone. I mean, I thought I knew her. But her life in the city- I wasn't part of that."