Chapter 12. Outsider

Chapter12. Outsider

Kyle got into an accident during football practice. They wanted to win so bad that things got a little rough. Out of hand. Stuff like that happened in sports all the time.

Kyle, whose eyes were purplish black, whose nose was broken, whose lips were swollen, was rushed to the hospital to get some rest. It was one of the most exciting news that happened in Bear Creek since the Morgan's got back.

But of course, underneath the lies was the truth that few knew. Kyle didn't have an accident, he was punished for harassment and bullying. Genesis wouldn't get in trouble for it. The witnesses thought Kyle deserved it, so none of them would talk.

I've been trying to reach out to Gene the rest of the week. I've wanted to thank her for sticking up to me. To ask why she did it.

Maybe despite acting cold, she still cared for me a little. Maybe beneath the black hole of her contact lenses was still my galaxy, waiting to be explored again. Maybe she was lost in space. Maybe I'd find her.

Being the flighty bird she was lately, I didn't get the opportunity to talk. She wasn't in the cafeteria at lunch. She wasn't by Brad's side during break. That's why by Saturday morning, I was feeling depressed again.

"Des?" dad called from the stairs. "You have a visitor."

My bra was barely hooked as I turned to the door. The band had snapped on my fingers thrice already. "I'm still changing," I called back. "Tell the twins to wait on the sofa." With a forced yank, I was able to clasp the hook to the back. I should probably buy new ones.

Dad was holding his yellow coffee mug when I dashed down the stairs. I turned to the other person sharing his table and almost stumbled at the last step.

"What are you doing here?"

Genesis lifted a mug to her lips. She was using mine. "Drinking coffee."

I looked from dad to her as I went to the dining area, and pulled a chair back. It felt like I was the one who didn't live there.

Dad lowered his mug and wiped his mouth. He just shaved this morning. I smelled the cream he used all the way to my seat. "Genesis was telling me that both of you joined the Welcoming Committee. Is that true?"

I cringed. "Kind of."

His eyes twinkled. "That's good to hear. You should participate in more activities. It will help with your college application."

"Bear Creek College isn't that hard to enter, dad."

"Yeah, but you're not going there."

"Oh yeah?" I motioned to Genesis. "Tell him how I'm not going to leave this town like most of its residents."

"Don't say that," dad interrupted. "I want you to see the world."

"It's a scary place out there." I shivered for emphasis. "I'd rather stay here, in my room, eating a bag of chips while watching a rerun. Is that so much to ask for?"

Dad pinched his forehead and sighed. We'd had this conversation before.

"I think both of you are right," Genesis said. The mug made a soft thump as she placed it on the table. I was tempted to drink from it, but was more eager to listen to what she had to say. "I think getting out of Bear Creek is good for perspective."

Dad hit the table with his hand. "That's what I'm talking about."

I was about to butt in when Genesis said, "I'm not done though." Her fingers played with the rim of the mug. "There's perspective everywhere. Sometimes it's in the most ordinary places we don't care to look. Bear Creek for instance."