Chapter 24. Them

Chapter24. Them

Genesis' campaign posters were plastered all over the school district. They came in loud, bold colors of orange, purple, with strong catchphrases underneath like 'In it to win it,' or 'If her father can do it, so can she.'

The pictures of her followed me wherever I went. There was one near my classroom, with her smiling brightly though her eyes said anything but. And another one near the fire exit where Woody and I had weekly, almost daily meetings of our own.

"You might as well get one and put it in your own room," Woody remarked when we passed a poster. We were on our way to the fire exit before lunch. Free period for me, while I didn't know what subject for her. She could get out of whatever she was doing without a problem, though she never said how.

I checked the poster once more; of the neat way it was stuck to the wall, down to how straight and aligned it was to everything else. Genesis had always been like that, always careful with the smallest details. Details that people tended to overlook but could be used to her advantage once she needed it. The letter she gave me before leaving Bear Creek was an example. It was a timely goodbye without me knowing it.

"She's not even listening to me," Woody grumbled.

I looked at her when we were safe on the fire exit stairs and had taken our usual places. My mind was still on the posters though. "It's everywhere."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Woody had taken a utility knife from her pocket and was carving a piece of wood. The shape wasn't finalized yet, but dad had always said that you should only judge a finished work, not the monstrosity it began from. Could that also apply to people?

"It's not a good thing." I sighed. "I'd rather have her than the posters."

"But where is her?"

"That's grammatically incorrect, you know that right?"

She shrugged. "I'm not training to be a writer. I'm working for something else." She continued cutting the wood, letting the small shavings get blown by the autumn wind. I shivered with it.

"Have you seen her? Rox, I mean?"

"Who hasn't?" Woody said. "She's always in the school."

"What do you think of her?"

"She's perfect."

The groan I made was so low, maybe Woody didn't hear it. If she did, she pretended not to and went on with her woodcraft. "They're always together," I complained. "Always talking. Always giggling about something. I can't cut through."

"It pisses you off."

"As much as it pisses me off that you're always straight to the point with me." I puffed out my cheeks. "You never sugar coat anything, do you?"

"Shorty said I do."

"Fudge what Shorty thinks. You're meaner than her sometimes." I paused when Woody's hands stopped working on the wood. I thought she'd say something to slam my observations about her, but then she made another shrug and started with her knife again. "For whatever it's worth, it's refreshing to have someone be truthful to me for once."

"I thought you hated it," she said.

"Not as much as I hate it when people keep stuff to themselves."

She didn't raise her head, but I knew that we were thinking of the same person.

Woody and I parted ways when lunch bell rang. I hurried to the cafeteria, wanting to avoid being squished by dozens of hungry teenagers heading the same way.