Chapter 17. Arrangement

Chapter17. Arrangement

The last time I saw the Governor was on the newspaper a week ago. Dad had left it on the table next to his coffee mug, and I caught a small glimpse as I was rushing out the door for school. He didn't seem real on the printout, nor was he an immediate threat as I climbed Genesis' balcony last night. But here and now, he was every bit as scary as the monsters in my head. Maybe more because his smile was freaking me out. It was too friendly.

"Breakfast," he repeated, gesturing to the table. Laid out were two more plates, two more set of utensils, two more mugs, two more of everything.

Gene didn't glance at me as she went to the chair. Her shoulders were rigid as she pushed it back, sat on the plush seat, and kept her head forward. I took that as my cue to follow her.

"Finally." The Governor sounded relieved. "I thought you didn't want to join this old man." He chuckled as he took a piece of bread and started spreading butter. His usual suit was gone in favor of a red bathrobe, though he looked comfortable sitting at the head of the table like it was his office instead of the kitchen. "What are you two waiting for?" he said. "Eat."

My tongue felt like dried leather as I took one of the breads piled on the basket in front of me. On my left side, Genesis was doing the same.

"Got to supply that body with the energy it needs for the day," the Governor piped up. "What do I always say?"

"We work hard, then we win," Genesis mumbled.

"Damn right. We can't do that without energy." I cringed when the Governor turned to me. "How's your father lately?"

"He's okay."

"And your shop? Does it keep you afloat?"

"Dad," Genesis said.

"It's okay," I assured. "Our woodcraft store is one of the strongest in Bear Creek. My father's pieces are crafted well."

The Governor placed his butter knife down and nodded. "Good. I might recommend him to some of my friends in Houston if this keeps up."

"He'd appreciate that."

The three of us proceeded to eat. From outside, it looked like any other setup; Friend invited a friend over for breakfast. Dad of the friend asking me how life was. Except I didn't feel like it was a normal setup. The vibe was all wrong. It made me uncomfortable, especially knowing that I shouldn't be there in the first place.

Five minutes in, a staff entered the dining room and went to the Governor's side. The woman didn't stay long. She just whispered some words, received a few nods, then went on her way.

I choked on the pastrami when Brad suddenly came in. Behind him was Spencer, hair wet, clothes changed, smiling like an idiot to me. Fudge.

"Boys!" the Governor exclaimed. "Come in. Come in." He motioned to the chairs on his left which were directly in front of me and Genesis. "Sit down and have breakfast with us. The girls have been waiting."

I noticed how Genesis' fingers curled on the side of the table. The next time I blinked, she was already reaching for the soup.

"Hey, Mr. Morgan." Brad went around the table to reach his seat. More than having him here, I didn't like the fact that he talked to the Governor so casually, like they were so. . . Close.

"Hi Destiny," Spencer said.

I glared at him when he passed me. What were they doing here?

He shrugged and took a seat.