Chapter 32. Overboard

Chapter32. Overboard

I spent the night in jail. Well outside the police station to be more specific, but it was still one of the most traumatic experiences of my life.

After dad left the house yesterday and didn't come back, I went to the station to find out that he was detained. And, not knowing what to do, I called Ester in the middle of the night, who then sent her parents running. The bail was posted around ten the next day, by which, I was sluggish, aching, and too worried for dad to eat, let alone drink anything.

My cellphone rang for the thirtieth time, but I didn't answer. I'd tell Genesis everything later when we were alone. Talking to her now would make me lose it, and I had to pull myself together for dad.

"Destiny." Mrs. Gonzales, a spitting image of the twins, got out of the station, saw me lingering by the bench, and headed my way. The cup of coffee cradled in her hand was put down. But she still smelled like it, and a bit like the newspapers in the junk shop when she wrapped her arms around me. "Are you alright?" she said, voice gentle.

"I'm fine," I said. "How's dad?"

I realized how rude that sounded and opened my mouth again to apologize, but she had already let go and shaken her head. "It's okay," she assured. "He's okay."

My eyes strayed to the station. Dad was obviously not okay. I mean, why would the police detain him? What did he do? This wasn't like him.

The panic in my eyes must have showed because Mrs. Gonzales took the coffee from the bench and offered it to me. "Here," she said, taking my right hand. The flesh under my skin turned comfortably warm when it was placed against the cup. But the rest of me, especially my heart, was still cold as ice. Mrs. Gonzales guided me to the chair so both of us could sit. Like Ester, her all too knowing glance calmed me a little bit.

Enough to ask, "Why?"

Mrs. Gonzales, like Spencer this time, shifted uncomfortably in her seat before answering. "They thought he's been involved in illegal logging," she said.

My eyes widened at her. "Did I hear that right?! Dad was detained for illegal logging?!" The coffee slushed on the side of the cup as I put it away. "But that's impossible!"

"I know."

I tucked a stray hair behind my ear. "They can't suspect dad of that, can they? He's running a woodstore. A legal woodstore." The pitch of my voice increased with every word until Mrs. Gonzales was raising a hand. The Ester in her was back when she nodded to say she understood.

"I've known your father for years," she said. "I know he's clean. But. . ." Her eyes darted to the station too, and even if I didn't like it, I still saw the hesitation gnawing under there before they flickered back to me. "The police had a good case against him, Destiny. They had eye witnesses of Jones transacting with illegal loggers for his timber supplies."

"That's a lie!" I argued. "Do you believe that bullshit?!"

Mrs. Gonzales sighed. She didn't bother scolding the foulness of my mouth as she shook her head. "That's why my husband and I are here," she said. "We don't believe that for a second. We're on your side."

The breath I didn't know I was holding was released. The more people who could attest to dad's innocence, the better. But what now? "What's taking them so long to release him?" I craned my neck to the entrance of the station, expecting dad and Mr. Gonzales to walk through anytime.

Mrs. Gonzales patted my leg. "They're still doing the paper works," she said. "You can go home in the meantime. Try to catch some sleep." I knew the sympathetic look that crossed her face. I must have looked like a homeless girl after sitting on the bench the whole night. Must have smelled like yesterday's sweat too. But those things weren't important now.