Chapter 27. Has

Chapter27. Has

Movies were right. They had to be. Life really did flash before you when you were about to die. The good. The bad. The extremely annoying; all of it flickered to me like a candle, burned out like a wick. Then, I was cold, dead. I wish.

After Genesis' short line, what's more mortifying was how the speaker on the corner of the ceiling grew silent and refused to talk to us again. There were no subliminal messages hidden in plain sight, only a long, dreaded, solitude.

"Destiny!" Spencer screamed. "Destiny!"

I turned to him, well to him and Kyle. They had started to wrestle on the floor again, and Kyle was winning. Totally steroids.

I glanced at the speaker again in reluctance, wishing, hoping, synonyming, and yes that's how I knew I was panicking. I didn't make sense.

"Destiny!"

The ballot box grated as I dragged it from the tiled floor. My fingers were numb when I took it with me across the room. The metal clanged once, then everything was silent again.

"The heck?!" Spencer gaped at me before pushing Kyle off from him. "You hit him!"

"Self-defense," I excused, letting the box fall noisily on the ground. "He hit you first. I thought he was going to kill you. I stepped in." My face was ashen against the reflection on the window. There were bigger problems to solve.

Spencer was breathing hard when he stood and took in the damages in the room. Beakers and test tubes were shattered, Kyle was unconscious, and then there was me, beginning to cover my eyes, trembling.

He picked my dilemma first and put a firm hold on my shoulders. "It's okay. We'll get the letter back."

"She read it."

"There wasn't enough time. Genesis probably saw the first few lines, got confused, then put it aside for later. Possible, right?"

Spencer was a pro for telling me these things, for calming me. But he was an even bigger pro when he pulled my head to his chest and rubbed my back. How could he act like this knowing what the letter contained?

The embrace lasted for a few seconds before he released me. I nodded to him. "What about Kyle? The room? What are we going to say?"

"We'll tell aunt Maggie everything," Spencer said.

"And I thought you've suddenly discovered maturity."

"Blame Rox for the name, not me. Come on."

I threw Kyle and the mess we've made one last glance before we left the room.

We went to the gym as fast as we could. Even if Spencer was taller and usually walked quicker, I was the one dragging him across the school grounds, wanting to do my mission. Letter-o retrieve-o.

People were gossiping when we burst through the door, but Genesis' was nowhere on the stage.

"Don't lose hope," Spencer said as he gave my hand a gentle squeeze. We scanned the place together. "What's he doing?"

I only got what Spencer was murmuring about when I spotted Brad walking to the stage. He was wearing his varsity jacket. How cliché was he?

The microphone squealed as he took it from the stand and bumped two fingers on the head. He then raised it to his mouth. "Good afternoon Bear Creek High, are we feeling it?!" His buddies screamed for him from the bleachers. "I know. I know. Settle down." He smirked, then turned to the left at the approaching Genesis. She'd probably appeared at the directive of a teacher.