Chapter 18. Flavor

Chapter18. Flavor

Ester loved to read all kinds of books. She didn't stick to science or math. She enjoyed romance too. Months before Gene left Bear Creek, I remember her whipping out a tattered novel while we were eating at Bertha's. She read aloud.

"Girls are sweet like candy. Boys are bitter like coffee. Do you believe that, Des?"

"I don't know," I said between bites. Genesis and Spencer were absent that day. It was just me and Es. "I get it with the girls, but why compare boys to something negative?"

Ester snapped her book shut and hugged it against her chest. She took a deep breath, smiled at me, then said, "Haven't you ever wondered why people like bitter coffee? It's difficult to swallow at first, but once you get used to it, you love it. I think that's where the comparison comes from. Boys are difficult, but they have good qualities too."

"Oh?"

"You'll get it when you have a boyfriend."

"But you don't even have one," I pointed out.

"I have my books. Same thing."

A playful smile spread on my lips. "You're cheating on your book boyfriends! There are probably millions of them by now."

She placed a finger on her lips and winked. "Shh! They don't know."

The smile from the memory didn't leave my face as I went to my locker that morning. Ester could be unbearably pushy, but she had a funny side too.

"Having a good day?" someone whispered on my ear.

Electricity traveled to my fingertips as I turned to Gene. She was just leaning on the locker doors, staring at me.

I finished the combination on my lock and tugged mine open. "My day hasn't even started yet, but thanks for asking."

"All of ours," she confirmed. "So what are you smiling for again?"

"Nothing. It's just a stupid memory."

I froze when her hand went to my back. It was warm for an autumn morning, like she'd wrapped her fingers around a steaming mug of chocolate.

"Memory of who?" she asked.

"E-Ester."

"Oh." Genesis withdrew her hand and shoved it in her pocket.

"Is there a problem?" I said.

"No." She sniffed and pulled out a hair tie. Genesis drew her locks into a ponytail, then straightened her posture. She looked every bit the Governor's daughter with her preppy clothes and poker face. I just wished she wasn't wearing her contacts. It would be wonderful to see her real eyes.

I noticed the ribbon on her collar and abandoned my books. She stiffened as I adjusted her strap. "You shouldn't skip the small details," I murmured. "That's important, you know."

"It is." She breathed out.

"Uh-huh." I stared at her when I finished the knot. A part of me wanted to stay there in that hall, just us fixing each other's shortcomings. Another part knew that the bell would ring, and it was crazy to think such things. I stepped back from her and beamed. "There. You're ready to run for the elections."

"Of course she is." Brad appeared out of nowhere and kissed Genesis on the cheek. His cologne reeked the air like poisoned gas. I gagged and fanned my hands. "Hello to you too, Destiny." He smelled himself and grinned. "Love my new scent?"