Chapter 22. "I"

Chapter 22. "I"

"I," was the word that separated "me" from "you," the "me" from "we."

I was confused.

There were so many things I needed to know about her, about the world, but I didn't. That was the funny and sad thing about being a teenager I guess. People expected more from us. They shouldn't.

We barely even knew ourselves, so hoorah for everyone who had it all figured out. Not me.

Everyone rushed out of the classroom when the bell rang. Lunchtime. One of the most anticipated moments of the day whether belonging to the crowd of dweebs, cools, or in my case, blind.

"Ouch!" a junior exclaimed. Her following glare was enough to set me on fire. Couldn't blame her. I did step on her big toe. She couldn't blame me either. I'd been saying excuse me for the past ten seconds, but she wasn't about to move. I had to do something about it.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

She might have said something awful under her breath, causing her friends to laugh, but I was too busy getting away. My usual m.o for the past few days.

Another clique was spotted ten meters ahead. Standing tall, self-assured, most of them had pocketbooks on their arms, probably discussing about the latest fictional boys they've read about. One of them happened to turn my way. "Destiny!"

I pretended not to hear her and took a look back. Not good. I couldn't go back. I was running away from there.

Having no other choice, I hunched my shoulders, dipped my head low, and stared at my feet while I brisk walked on the hallway. Crossing my fingers that she was too busy to pursue this. Fingers failed.

Ester grabbed me. "Destiny! I've been calling you." She sounded out of breath. Ester must have run away from her friends. The sane ones.

"Yes, well, I didn't hear you." I hastened my steps, but she also hastened hers. Not a problem at all.

Yesterday, we had the same situation going for us, but one of the teachers intervened by talking to her about something. Maybe that would happen today too. Ester was a busy girl.

"Why are you avoiding me?" she grumbled.

Yep. She was still in hot pursuit. But any second now. Any moment, a classmate or teacher would appear. Crossing my fingers again.

"Destiny Jones, what is the matter with you?!" She stepped in front of me so I couldn't slip away. My forehead bumped on her forehead.

"Nothing's the matter with me!" I griped. "What's the matter with you?!" My forehead was getting sore fast. I concentrated on that so I wouldn't have to look at Ester face. She'd be so disappointed. I had enough people being disappointed in me. "Can I just? Can you just?!" I flailed my arms to get the point across. Sometimes words could fail you.

"No," she said. "We have to talk this through. I'm tired of not knowing what's happening to my closest friends and my brother. You've all been keeping secrets from me!"

Mayday! Mayday! A missile hit its mark.

I almost crumpled dead in front of Ester, but I managed to keep a smooth face for the sake of it. Placing both hands on her shoulders, I said, "Things are going great, Es. You have nothing to worry about."

"Destiny!" Spencer called. His voice echoed on the half-filled hallway. He must have successfully completed my trap. The deliberate dumping of my things on the floor before escaping the classroom, knowing that he'd pick them up and place them on my desk before leaving.